Saturday, March 1, 2014

Welcome to our world, guys...

While infertility, male or female, is no joking matter, I have to admit I got a chuckle out of Elizabeth Renzetti's column in today's Globe & Mail, which starts with reports about how male fertility, too, declines with age, and then continues:
Imagine a world in which it’s no longer women who are reminded at every family gathering that biology’s Big Ben is sounding just for them. Hey men – you, too, can join in the fun as society keeps a close watch on your gonads, and asks when, exactly, you plan to use them.
And then Renzetti does imagine that world, to amusing effect. (I got a particular laugh out of the point about George Clooney & Ryan Gosling.) Have a read.

4 comments:

  1. I want to laugh. Really I do. But all if that makes me want to slap someone. Probably PTSD.

    Though I do love the part about Ryan Gosling. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the dancing baby hologram bit, too, and of course the idea of George Clooney's baby shower.

    Not incidentally, one of my closest friends was conceived when her dad was about 60, and her brother was conceived a few years later. She has been treated for bipolar disorder and major depression, and her younger brother has schizoaffective disorder. (Dad ditched girlfriend of several decades in order to marry a nubile young twentysomething. You can imagine how well that worked out in the long run.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG That had me in tears, laughing tears for once ;)

    ReplyDelete