Monday, October 12, 2015

#MicroblogMondays: Thankful

It's Thanksgiving here in Canada today = holiday long weekend. No offense to my American readers ;)  but I've always thought the timing of our Thanksgiving was preferable to yours. (Of course, I'm not a big fan of November generally, lol -- see the posts labelled "I hate November" ;) ).  The weather in mid-October can often still be pretty nice hereabouts, the fall colours are generally at or near the peak of their beauty, and there's a decent interval before you have to start worrying about Christmas too much (although I've noticed many stores ALREADY have their Christmas decorations, etc., on full display...! -- & did even before it was officially fall...!!).

In keeping with the spirit of the day, here are a few of the things I'm thankful for in my life right now. (I published a similar list for my #MicroblogMondays post this time last year. ;) )

* Gorgeous weather this weekend -- sunshine & temps in the 18-22C/65-72F range. (I was tempted to bring my capris back out from the closet!)
* A wonderful dh, who often spoils me rotten. ;)
* An amazing extended family that loves and supports us.
* An invitation from BIL & SIL for turkey dinner tonight. :)  (With my family so far away, dh's dad remarried & his brother often at his inlaws, we are often left at loose ends on holidays like this, so we appreciate being included.)
* The freedom to enjoy this lovely time of year. (October through December was always our busiest time of year at work = year end.)
* Retirement. :)  It came earlier than I had planned or expected (i.e., not my choice), but nevertheless we think it will work out OK.  :)
* A comfortable home with plenty of good food to eat and lots of books to read. :) 
* Getting some stuff done around the house that we've been talking about doing for ages.
* The great good fortune to be born & raised in this amazing country.
* The democratic privilege of being able to vote next week (even if the election process and politicians drive us nuts at times...!).
*  Wonderful friends, in real life (near & far) and online. You have enriched my life enormously!

What are you thankful for right now?

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here

8 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! It is better positioned than American Thanksgiving. I feel like our holidays all mush together. It's like this race from Thanksgiving to New Years.

    I am thankful for good books. And coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving! What a beautiful time of year to have a holiday of gratitude. You have a beautiful list of things to be thankful for. Today I am thankful for this beautiful fall day and for having the day off (although Columbus Day is not quite as nice a holiday as Thanksgiving). I hope the Christmas surge doesn't hit full force for a little while longer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving! Those are a lot of wonderful things in life! Enjoy the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving! This American thinks that the timing of Canadian Thanksgiving is preferable too, for the exact reasons that Mel mentioned above.

    Today I am thankful for a job that I love (even on days when it completely kicks my butt, like today), podcasts that make my commute not so bad (right now I'm loving Elizabeth Gilbert's Magic Lessons podcast), and the glass of Cabernet Sauvignon that I'm currently enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving!

    I celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving with a diplomatic friend of mine in Bangkok many years ago. I remember the pumpkin with maple syrup (the first time I said, "why?" about sweet pumpkin dishes!), and the fact that we stayed very late at her apartment, and she and I drank way too much out on the balcony looking at the lights of the city below us. I hadn't thought of that evening for a long time - I'm very thankful that I met Ray and Susan, and have that memory of time with them ... but I wonder where they are now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm grateful to know someone else has the same distaste for November (though I actually hate March more) and premature holiday decorations that I do.

    I'm grateful I can run over to the chiropractor now and that she'll do a great job fixing my back that I twisted while cleaning underneath my frig.

    I'm grateful for a laughter filled night out with friends last night where infertility and childlessness flowed easily in, and out, of the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my students is the president of the Canadian Students Association this year ... and she told me about Canadian Thanksgiving just today. Happy day!

    I'm thankful for a home, and my job, and friends, and students who continue to offer me perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that the timing of Thanksgiving in November is less than desirable. Next year, I want to start celebrating the Wiccan Thanksgiving (Mabon/Fall Equinox) in September the same way we usually do in November. It makes much more sense to do it earlier in the fall.

    I love your list of things you're thankful for, and I have many of the same. I'd add that I'm thankful for our amazing landlords, who have been wonderful to us since we moved here three years ago, and who allow us to enjoy this amazing piece of land with them (they own 22 acres that abuts 100 acres of conservation land).

    Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete