Friday, July 21, 2017

Marilyn was one of us

The scene: Me, at a lovely local spa for the first time. Dim lighting, soft music playing, comfortable reclining pedicure chair, mug of soothing herbal tea within reach. Enjoying a relaxing manicure & pedicure, courtesy of a gift certificate I received. One other 50-something woman in the room, also getting a mani-pedi -- as she explained, for her son's wedding the next day.

Mom (looking up at large framed photo of Marilyn Monroe in her prime, hanging on the wall): That's a great photo of her! How old was she when she died?

Pedicurist: I think she was 36.

Mom: She didn't have any kids, did she? That's SO sad!  (Didn't catch everything she said next, but it seemed to be something along the lines of what else gives life meaning if you don't have kids?)(Or maybe I'm just projecting...??)  She was married two or three times, wasn't she? Of course, at that age... most people in those days had kids really young...

I felt myself tensing up & mentally rolling my eyes. So much for the relaxing mood...!  

But she moved on to another topic -- thank goodness!!

(And also thank goodness, nobody asked me about MY kids while I was there...!)

(For the record, Marilyn was married three times, including to baseball great Joe DiMaggio and playwright Arthur Miller. And no, she didn't have any children. But she desperately wanted them, struggled to conceive, suffered from endometriosis, and endured several miscarriages, including an ectopic pregnancy.)

5 comments:

  1. Marilyn Monroe. Julia Child. Theodor Geisel (aka Dr Seuss). Susan B. Anthony. Jennifer Aniston. And so many more. You included on this list of amazing people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marlo Thomas. I love Marlo Thomas. I follow her on Facebook. She has a very full life with Phil and her work for her father's St Jude hospital. Her children are the children in the hospital. I so admire her. - Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful thought... Marilyn was one of us!

    I have had my share of hearing random conversations about how sad it is not to have kids. It always makes me angry. Silly people, is it so difficult to keep the tongue in the mouth? (=expression from my language).

    I agree with Cristy - you are included on this list of amazing people!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh... that is the WORST when you are out to have a relaxing time and this sort of thing happens. I agree with Cristy and Klara, you're on the list of amazing people! I saw some movie or something about Marilyn Monroe that highlighted her desire for children and her difficulties. I get so sad thinking about her, she was a beautiful, but lost soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A classic roll-of-the-eyes situation. I don't think I'd have been able to limit myself to just doing it mentally. Well done!

    ReplyDelete