Monday, September 4, 2017

#MicroblogMondays: Labour Day

It's Labour Day. :)  I choose to ignore the double meaning of the term, with its reminders of pregnancy and babies, and am striving mightily to ignore its most familiar association hereabouts -- i.e., Labour Day = the (unofficial) end of summer, the last day before school starts again tomorrow.  

"Back to school" time has lost a bit of its sting in the last few years.  Obviously, it's been more than 30 years since I darkened the door of a classroom, and even if Katie had been here, she would have graduated high school two years ago and most likely would be in her second year of university or college (gulp).  Although we regularly drove by several schools in our old neighbourhood, we would have to go out of our way to pass by a school, living where we do now.

Still, there's a fall chill in the air these days, and I feel a bit of melancholy descending upon me. It's really not the end of summer, yet -- we still have a couple of weeks to go before fall officially kicks in, and I do enjoy the changing colours and cooler weather (and I am hearing predictions that it will be a milder-than-usual fall) -- but the summer has seemed far too short this year.

On a happier note, the malls will be a lot less crowded this coming week....!  ;)

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here.

2 comments:

  1. I do love the fall too, and I hope we get a nice prolonged cool but mild one since summer was kind of a dud (although I didn't mind it so much, love cozy cool weather because I am a sweaty, sweaty lady). I'm sorry for the back to school blues, I totally get it. I got sad for the first time at this time realizing that we'd never go back to school shopping for our child (although as a teacher I go back to school shopping for myself EVERY SINGLE YEAR. No pretty pen or on-sale highlighter multipack is safe from me!). I'm glad it's lost the sharpness of the sting, and you don't have to see so much of the hubbub. Traffic will be crazier for a while until we get used to it! :) I hope you have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to malls (and shops and cafes and movie theatres) without hordes of children! That's my favourite thing about the end of any school holidays (vacation) here.



    ReplyDelete