Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Free trade increases infertility -- who knew??

The headline from the Washington Post that popped up on my cellphone tonight stopped me in my tracks: 
"Internal White House documents allege manufacturing decline increases abortions, infertility, and spousal abuse"
I mean, seriously??!!??  Can someone explain the link to me??

The opening paragraphs of the story read:
White House officials working on trade policy were alarmed last month when a top adviser to President Trump circulated a two-page document that alleged a weakened manufacturing sector leads to an increase in abortion, spousal abuse, divorce and infertility, two people familiar with the matter said. 
The documents, which were obtained by The Washington Post... were presented without any data or information to back up the assertions... 
(Are we surprised?) 

So let me get this straight -- Brian Mulroney, George H.W. Bush and Carlos Salinas (the leaders of Canada, the United States and Mexico who signed the original deal in December 1992) are to blame for my lack of children (and possibly yours as well)? Not my bicornuate uterus, wonky hormones, aging ovaries or dh's low sperm count, among other known and unknown factors?

Gee, I wish I'd known this years ago... it would have saved me a lot of angst...

2 comments:

  1. Scare tactics, huh? It’s always interesting when privileged old white men who have zero point of reference attempt to rationalize diseases and health issues impacting so many. But hey, props for pulling that one out of thin air

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good grief! I spent most of my career around international trade negotiations, and looking at the issues involved. I've often rolled my eyes at much of the US commentary on/political approach to free trade, but this takes the cake. Actually, thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete