Friday, September 19, 2014

One of those moments

When dh & I first met (over, GULP, 30 years ago...!)  and began comparing musical tastes, we discovered we were both Billy Joel fans, with several of his albums each in our collections. "Just the Way You Are" was a monster, monster hit when I was in high school, and one of the songs we considered for the first dance song at our wedding (we eventually went with "You & I" by Crystal Gayle & Eddie Rabbitt -- which seems oddly appropriate, in retrospect...). We didn't even think about what song we should dance to LAST, before making our exit -- so we wound up dancing to the DJ's pick --  which was "This Night,"  from Billy Joel's then-recent album, "An Innocent Man."

The lyrics might have been a little odd for a wedding (it's about a one-night stand that is turning into something else) -- but it's a wildly romantic song, based on a Beethoven melody, with lush, 50s-style doo-wop harmonies I've always loved. I'm so glad it was included in our wedding. :) 

 


Yesterday, we tackled the weekly housecleaning & put on a CD of Billy Joel hits to keep us moving along and make the chores go by faster. 

After we finished, dh was upstairs taking a shower & I was catching my breath when "Lullaby (Goodnight, My Angel) from the "River of Dreams" album came on.

I've heard it before, of course, before & after Katie. But I don't think I ever really LISTENED to the lyrics before.

And the tears rolled down my face.



Goodnight, my angel
Time to close your eyes
And save these questions for another day
I think I know what you've been asking me
I think you know what I've been trying to say
I promised I would never leave you
And you should always know
Wherever you may go
No matter where you are
I never will be far away

Goodnight, my angel
Now it's time to sleep
And still so many things I want to say
Remember all the songs you sang for me
When we went sailing on an emerald bay
And like a boat out on the ocean
I'm rocking you to sleep
The water's dark
And deep inside this ancient heart
You'll always be a part of me

Goodnight, my angel
Now it's time to dream
And dream how wonderful your life will be
Someday your child may cry
And if you sing this lullabye
Then in your heart
There will always be a part of me

Someday we'll all be gone
But lullabyes go on and on...
They never die
That's how you
And I
Will be

7 comments:

  1. That's beautiful ... and heart-breaking. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful how music can move us, whether it is the first time we hear a song or the hundredth time. It is bittersweet when it stirs those sad feelings and memories, but it is deeply special in being present and open your heart to it. Sending thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those moments come out of the blue sometimes, don't they? Sending you love and remembering Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. So moving. Huge bear hug headed your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful and so sad. There are always those unexpected things that trigger our feelings of grief and loss. Those moments are always toughies. Hugs to you. Sending good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete