Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Me Meme

I was tagged with this meme today by Ya-Chun at She Almost Made It!

1. What were you doing 10 years ago?

I was pregnant! (with my daughter Katie, who was stillborn later that summer) I checked my old datebook for what was happening on this exact date, but it was nothing special. The day before (June 9), I had just been to see Dr. Ob-gyn for my triple screen blood test.

2. What 5 things are on your to-do list for today?

Since it's evening, I'll make up my to-do list for tomorrow:

1. Finish proofreading 80+-page document at work. (At least it's not due until Thursday... sometimes we get asked to turn these things around same day, or even same morning!)

2. Attend a farewell luncheon for one of my colleagues, whose last day is Friday.

3. Go for a walk, either on my lunch hour, after dinner, or both. (I've been neglecting this lately.)

4. Remind my boss that she agreed to let me have Friday afternoon off (in lieu of overtime worked).

5. Do some banking.

3. List some snacks you enjoy.

Anything chocolate, of course! Dh & I both love popcorn (used to live on it as students). I also love potato chips (but am trying to watch the salt these days…).

4. What would you do with a billion dollars?

Retire immediately!!
Start travelling to all the places I've wanted to see.
Buy a (somewhat) bigger house & hire a decorator.
Give some money to family members.
Set up a trust fund for our two nephews.
Establish a memorial foundation in our daughter's name, & give generous grants to our pregnancy loss support group, and local hospitals for infertility & pregnancy loss research & patient services.
Treat all my girlfriends to a spa weekend.

5. List the places you have lived.

(This will be a long list…!)

Emerson, Manitoba
Kinistino, Saskatchewan
Tisdale, Saskatchewan
Winnipegosis, Manitoba
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba
Deloraine, Manitoba
Carman, Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba
London, Ontario
Toronto, Ontario & vicinity

6. List the jobs you have had.

Babysitter
Drive-in movie theatre concession stand clerk
Antique shop clerk
Waitress (several incarnations)
Home fire safety inspector
Retail sales clerk (also several incarnations)
Credit union teller
Weekend receptionist at a private men's dining & racquet club
Temping as a clerk-typist at a discount brokerage during RRSP season (!!)
Smalltown weekly newspaper reporter & editor
Corporate writer/editor

Not sure who hasn't done this one yet! Mmmm... how about Deathstar, Mrs. X, and Dianne? Take it away, girls....!

9 comments:

  1. I really like your response as to what you would do with $1 billion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Loribeth, you've lived all over Manitoba! I was born and raised in Winnipeg, so needless to say, I know the area well. Where in Winnipeg did you live???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too like your idea of funding a memorial foundation for Katie.

    Thanks for the tag- this is No. 4 this week! I went for almost three months without one, and how woosh! I doubt I'll have any interesting answers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. chocolate is a favorite of mine. I think I eat some every single day. I also liked your response to what to do with $1 billion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. C., my dad worked for two different banks over 30 years, so we got transferred all over when I was a kid. I went to U of M & lived in residence (Speechly) for all four years, & also with a girlfriend in an apartment on Pembina Hwy. one summer.

    I didn't actually "live" in Deloraine, except when I went to visit my parents, since I was already at university by then, but it was "officially" my home address while they were there.

    Nice to "meet" another Manitoban!! (We're everywhere...!!! bwahahahaha...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll definitely do my Meme, but it'll have to wait until Sunday.

    I love the billion dollar question - very similar to my own answer :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I'm curious -- where would you travel first?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny! We lived in Fort Garry. I went to the U of M and, like all good Manitoba girls, frequented all the bars down Pembina. I wonder if we ever crossed paths? What year did you move away?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wordgirl: tough question!! There are so many places I haven't been. I want to see the rest of Canada (the Maritimes) & more of the States. I want to sit on a Caribbean island for a couple of weeks. I want to go to Europe & see all the castles & art galleries. I want to hunt for my ancestors in Scotland and Ireland and Sweden. So much to do, so little time (& money... unless I really do get that billion, lol).

    C: I'm probably a little older than you are -- I was at U of M from fall 1979 to spring 1983. You have brought up fond memories of the Monty & the Norlander (not to mention the UMZOO pub, which I understand is long gone). Dh saw Bryan Adams at the Norlander, just before he hit it big!

    ReplyDelete