Monday, May 18, 2020

#MicroblogMondays: Reopening for business

Last week, the provincial government here in Ontario announced that all retail stores with a street entrance (i.e., not in a mall) can start reopening (with physical distancing restrictions) tomorrow, Tuesday, May 19th. (Here's an article explaining what's opening up & how. The reopenings will be tomorrow, because today is our Victoria Day statutory holiday/long weekend Monday, when many things would normally be closed anyway.)  Restaurants are still limited to takeout & delivery only, and hair salons & barbershops remain closed (among other things).

Theoretically, this means dh & I could head to the bookstore tomorrow. It's tempting -- we haven't been there since March 12th, more than TWO MONTHS!! (horrors!!) -- but not tempting enough to lure us from our condo, where (dh's weekly-or-so trips to the supermarket and the occasional walk around the neighbourhood aside), we've been holed up since March 12th.  (For one thing, we don't NEED to go to the bookstore, when we have literally shelves and e-readers full of unread books, right here at home...).  I'm inclined to sit back & wait a while to see what happens to the case numbers over the next couple of weeks before venturing out. (It's been 9+ weeks already -- what's another few weeks at this point, right?)

One place I *might* venture before then is to the drugstore. I'm starting to run out of several of my personal care items, and while dh has done a pretty good job to date of finding what I really need, I have a pretty lengthy list of stuff I need or will need soon -- and I'd prefer to be the one deciding on what substitutes I'd be willing to accept (or not), should the items I need not be stock.

When I do eventually head back into a store, I will be wearing one of my sock masks, for the foreseeable future. (Most stores that are open now require them for entry.)  And using hand sanitizer (since I haven't been out much, I still have some in my purse!) when I get back to the car, and washing my hands thoroughly when we get back home.

What's open/not open yet where you are? And when do you think you'll feel safe going back into stores again?

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here

9 comments:

  1. Same thing here in PA. We were in WV this morning and it's the same in that state was well. My transit authority job added a few more metro routes to Pittsburgh but no talk of when the CSR will return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the Finger Lakes Region (which inexplicably includes Rochester), we opened on 5/15 for stores with masks adn similar stuff to you. I'm surprised because the greater Rochester Area has had some of the highest per-day numbers of new confirmed cases we've had this past week, and you know those are in that 2-week time warp. So, yeah -- not going anywhere yet, at least not stores. It is so hard because it's been so long, and everyone is itching to get out, but driving to drop our taxes off in a lockbox on Saturday when it was GORGEOUS out, we saw SO MANY people walking on the canal path and in villages with no masks and not really keeping all that distant. Sigh. So I think I'll wait until we see the impact of this opening.

    Honestly, I don't think I'll ever feel safe until there's a vaccine, but at some point I'll have to go somewhere! We're already talking about the probability that September will have us doing at the very least a hybrid of the distance learning. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked up Ontario's stats - there are some very good graphs! I see that your case numbers have dropped dramatically, so that is positive. And I hope they continue to drop and you can feel safer going out.

    I was out yesterday to get a flu shot. Does that count? I'm likely to go out for coffee and a supermarket trip soon too - I am almost completely out of shampoo and conditioner! It will be weird. Hand-washing - I'm an expert at that now. I think the fear is still there for many many people, even though we have been very lucky that case numbers here have all but disappeared. It's the fear of the undetected case, and a new wave, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you looked up the data for Ontario! :) I've been going to the Globe & Mail for stats -- they have a lot of helpful charts & graphs, both for national & provincial stats. Quebec has the highest number of cases per 100,000 people, followed by Ontario, but then they are the most populous provinces, with some of the country's largest cities/urban areas.

      https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-coronavirus-cases-canada-world-map-explainer/

      The largest numbers of deaths here have been clustered in nursing homes, which is a relief in one respect, but incredibly sad in another way. :(

      Delete
    2. Yes, that is the same for us in terms of deaths. Though when a 62-year-old died it was a bit too close for comfort. Our biggest clusters of cases have been around a school, a wedding (the father of the bride died), a stag do (bachelor's party pre-lockdown), a rest (nursing) home, and a cruise ship visit that extended into a rest home. It is incredibly sad, but a relief that we haven't had widespread community transmission. Have you looked at the worldometers site? It has great comparable info country by country.

      Delete
  4. I'm of two minds on this one. The first being that flattening the curve requires social distancing, meaning we should all be trying to minimize the amount we are out and about. I also am wary of reopening because it's going to be 2 more weeks before we see the actual impact of this relaxing.

    That said, 2 months lady!! That's a hella long time to be cut off from your normal. I think the measures you are considering to protect yourself are sound and I'm sure you'll continue to take precautions. The people I worry about are those who are packing bars and not taking any precautions (and who will freak out when they get sick). You're not one of them.

    We're starting to see things open up around us. Our aftercare just opened and we are sending Maddy and Teddy after reviewing their screening procedures. It's a new normal and I'm willing to take calculated risks for reentry and opening. All while waiting to see what the data will be coming out of Georgia (it's predicted to be devastating).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely not one of them. ;) I respect that people are anxious to get back to work & reopen businesses -- but just because they build it doesn't mean people are going to come -- especially if they're not confident that proper precautions are being taken. I know you're pretty knowledgeable on these matters, Cristy, and I respect your opinions! I will be watching the data closely too!

      Delete
    2. Yes to "just because they build it doesn't mean people are going to come." I read a report today that last weekend, on a Saturday evening, a restaurant/bar in a well-known nightlife spot sold just one meal - a "solitary burger." People were not feeling confident to rush back, thank goodness.

      Delete
  5. I've been the one doing the shopping all along, so I will continue to go places. My daughter is dying to shop, but I'm neutral. However, she also really does not want to be infected with the virus and generally tells me she doesn't need to go anywhere. So, as things get closer to "normal" I don't know how long it will take us to start doing the things we used to do. My husband doesn't want anyone who might be sick preparing our food, so I suspect it will be a while before we get carryout (he doesn't like to go out to eat anyway). I really look forward to walking dogs at the shelter again, though.

    ReplyDelete