Tuesday, July 5, 2022

"An insult, not a solution"

The fallout continues from British demographer Paul Morland's opinion piece in the Sunday Times: "Should we tax the childless?"  (His answer was (naturally!) an enthusiastic yes.)  I flagged this article in my #MicroblogMondays/Odds & ends post yesterday

Thankfully, the response to his proposals has been overwhelmingly negative -- and not just from childless & childfree people. Here's a sample of things I've been reading and listening to over the past 24 hours: 
I'll keep my eye out for more. 

And if you think you don't need to pay attention to this issue because you don't live in the U.K., think again. Consider that in July 2021, would-be Republican candidate for congress J.D. Vance proposed that parents should have more voting power than childless people -- which some took further, proposing that childless people should be banned from voting all together (!). (I wrote about this here and here.) No doubt there are politicians in North America and elsewhere who will think Morland's ideas are worth implementing here too.   

3 comments:

  1. AAAAAAAAA. So much internal and external screaming. Great reading, though. I have no doubts that the short-sighted people in the U.S. government are already on this. The return of everything to "states' rights" by the Supreme Court is troubling as now how much agency you have over your body and its functions depends even more on what state you live in. Argh. I don't know how anyone could think that more children is the answer given climate crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable. Thanks for highlighting this issue...some of these links are helpful to me in a current project I'm working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, so much reading for me to do now. Thanks, Loribeth. I don't know how you keep up with it alL! I had read Berenice's piece though, and thought it was excellent.

    ReplyDelete