Sunday, March 15, 2009

Greeeaaaat.....

Guess where I will (more than likely) be spending Mother's Day this year?

Why, at a christening, of course. Isn't that where every infertile woman or bereaved mother wants to spend Mother's Day? Lucky, lucky me....

We were invited to FIL's for lunch today, & of course stepBIL & wife were there with the baby. And off afterwards to shop for a christening gown & bonbonniere (party favours) for the baptism. Which just happens to be on Mother's Day.

Mrs. StepBIL claims she did not realize the significance of the day when she booked the baptism -- she was just relieved to find a priest who would do it for them (since they are not regular churchgoers).

Dh says maybe we won't be invited. Yeah, sure....

I have a headache.

*** *** ***

On the bright side, we got to see our nephews, who were also invited to lunch. Their parents are vacationing on the Mayan Riviera at the moment -- kidless for the first time in 20 years. Dh has been calling to check in on them every day, & their other grandmother, who lives close by, has been feeding them most nights. They live across the city, about an hour's drive away, but our oldest nephew has a car & a GPS -- and, of course, the fearlessness of a 20-year-old who thinks he's invincible, even when navigating North America's busiest stretch of highway.

I was watching as they pulled up in front of the house (driving too fast, of course) & somehow unfolded themselves and their 6-foot-plus frames out of the tiny Honda Fit. My heart swelled with pride, and wonder, and bewilderment.

The years pass by WAY too fast.

7 comments:

  1. Oy--my heart is going out to you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even imagine Mother's Day at a Christening. You are brave. I will be thinking of you that day. Gracious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the christening date. That is ill timed. We were offered that weekend as an option for Ivy & Nina's baptism and I told the deacon, "NO -- I mean, sorry, that doesn't work for us." Infertility aside, the typical Mother's Day service is overwrought and overlong as it is. I can't imagine adding a christening to it.

    (I suggest that your theme song for that day be "Bloody Mary is the girl I love.")

    I like how you described your nephews as "unfolding" themselves from the car. Perfect word choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm wincing right now. You'll be alright - sort of. Sigh. You'll carry on with grace and dignity and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch. I hope it isn't too terrible for you if you go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch, that will be a hard day, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete