Tuesday, November 29, 2011

(Not) the most wonderful time of the year :p

(Sorry, I hit "publish" before I was quite finished. And Blogger has been acting wonkily enough that I couldn't go back in & edit -- I had to copy & paste into a Word doc, delete what I had posted before & then report -- ARGH. So if you read my first post in a reader, this is the correct version.)

For awhile there, I thought I was going to make it through November without my annual "I hate November" whine. The weather has been unusually mild (which actually makes me a little nervous, global warming & all that) -- & SUNNY (which lifts my spirits enormously -- part of the reason I dislike November is the constant grey and gloom, at least here in southern Ontario). I got through Katie's 13th birthday/due date relatively well. The stress of year-end activities at work has been pretty manageable up to this point (although the daily 1 p.m. project meetings were really putting a cramp in my day). I got an early start on my Christmas shopping. My cousin recently moved just a 15-minute drive away from me (after 26 years of being surrounded by dh's family -- nice people that they (mostly, lol) are -- I FINALLY have a relative living closer than 1,000 miles away!!) -- and invited us to dinner for his daughter's birthday last week. Not only did I get to eat perogies, homemade by his visiting mom (my aunt), it was American Thanksgiving and they cooked a turkey dinner with all the trimmings.

Last weekend was lovely. I got to sleep in, & slept pretty well. Housecleaning went quickly. We took Christmas stuff to the cemetery to decorate Katie's niche which, although a sad reminder of what we've lost, also made me feel better to see her little corner of the world looking appropriately festive. We had dinner at a new local restaurant (Irish pub) -- the food was good & hot (we'll be back) & had a $10 coupon to pay for part of it. We had a nice, leisurely browse at Chapters without too many disruptions from screaming children in the toy section or inconsiderate dolts sitting sprawled out on the floor, blocking the aisle, while talking loudly on their cellphone. Sunday, we went to see "The Descendants" with George Clooney, & while the subject matter was on the depressing side (middle-aged man with two daughters dealing with his wife's impending death and the discovery that she was having an affair), the performances were excellent. Plus the scenery was gorgeous (not only George, lol, but it was set in Hawaii).

And then Monday rolled around (as it always does) & everything has been downhill since then.

It's crunch time at work -- major milestone coming up on Friday. A couple of projects will be more or less off my plate at that point, but (of course) other have come to take their place -- urgent stuff that needs to be done well before I leave on my vacation, of course.

Everyone is under stress. Dh is under stress at work -- and he has a mancold. :p And when I woke up this morning, it was pouring rain, and hasn't stopped all day. The sky has been dull, dark and grey.

Christmas decorations are springing up everywhere, I see people everywhere with shopping bags, but I don't have time to take a full lunch hour to work on my Christmas shopping, I'm too tired at night to head to the mall, and the thought of the mall on a weekend makes me cringe. :p

And so, just like that, I'm into my annual November sulk & feeling sorry for myself.

Update: Things are slightly better tonight, since I started drafting this. We had some hot soup for supper and assembled the Christmas tree (decorations to come later this week). Doing something a little Christmasy helped, I think.

To quote Scarlett O'Hara (watched the movie for the umpteenth time other night, Kleenex in hand), "Tomorrow is another day."

November 2010: Black Friday
November 2009: November blahs
November 2008: November again
November 2007: November: The cruellest month

7 comments:

  1. I can relate to so much of this--not just the dreary sadness, but the kind of up and down of holiday stuff. Also, I love the word/phrase "mancold." Perfect description! Hope that the final day of November is peaceful for you, and December brings you plenty of sweetness for all the bittersweet experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the ghosts of Christmas past...I hope your day, and season look up. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a few more hours til December, my friend!

    I too have the gloomies at this time of year, they seem to be a little worse this year due to recent events. But, I'm trying my best to make it through.

    I'm sorry November is so hard on you, and I hope the magic of the season strikes you soon (and me too...I'm in the humbuggy mood).

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and all the other mom's out there who's children were taken too soon during the upcoming Christmas season. Just hope it warms your heart to know that I'm thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a bit speechless. December is the month I mark losses - but it is tempered with the arrival of summer, and general happiness about that. I can't imagine how it must be for you, so sending warm hugs and hoping you can curl up in front of a fire or under a duvet and emerge with a rosy and happy glow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you on the unending rainy day ... working at an elementary school with indoor recess, and being in a portable - well! isn't that lovely.

    I don't know at all when I can even begin my shopping - probably the 20th - 23rd ?

    While I still need to get decorations out, I have been playing Christmas music for quite some time. That helps.

    I'm glad you got out to Chapters. You haven't mentioned that in a while, and I know you really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Andie: We rarely miss a weekend visit to Chapters!! (I think they'd send a search party out for us if did, lol.) I am having trouble commenting on your blog, but I AM reading!

    ReplyDelete