Monday, September 27, 2021

#MicroblogMondays: Odds & ends

  • Did you watch any of the World Childless Week webinars or read any of the submissions?  I will admit I quickly fell behind and am still trying to catch up on all the wonderful content -- which, luckily for us, is archived permanently on the WCW website.  
  • The Independent (UK) posted a great (albeit brief) opinion piece in connection with World Childless Week last week: "We need to stop describing women based on their maternal status."  You will need to register to read the article.
  • Between WCW, the federal election here in Canada last week (dh & I voted at an advance poll a week before the election day, and stayed up till midnight, watching the results), visiting Little Great-Nephew at his grandparents' house, and getting ready for (and then recuperating from...!) our cottage weekend, I am feeling a little swamped lately. I've been trying to catch up on everything that I've missed online while we were away (and failing miserably) -- blogs, social media posts, newsletters and emails, WCW content, a towering TBR (to be read) stack of books (both paper & digital), some with "deadlines" of online book club meetings and related screening dates of film versions. If I haven't commented on your blogs lately, I apologize!   
  • It was, apparently, National Daughters Day on Saturday. And even though I had put it on my calendar after being overwhelmed by social media posts on the same day last year (here's my post about it), it kind of slipped my mind.... so I wound up being overwhelmed and annoyed all over again. After a few perfunctory likes, I just started scrolling quickly past any posts of beautiful happy smiling young girls and their proud moms. (Apologies if any of those moms were you, but there's only so much a bereaved childless mother can handle sometimes...)
    • Related warning:  Apparently it's National Sons Day tomorrow (Sept. 28th). 
  • Finally:  Anyone have any tips on pandemic air travel for me??  I may be putting them to use soon..!  ;)  
You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here.  

3 comments:

  1. Like you, I'm still catching up on all the WCW articles and webinars. What a wonderful collection of pieces it was this year.

    I hadn't seen The Independent article. "Perhaps it’s time to chuck the labels and stop describing women according to their maternal status." Absolutely! (The comments though. Sigh! I should know better, but I always scan the comments.)

    I'm really really hoping National Daughter/Son Days don't arrive here! My social media feed was largely free of this, apart from the occasional post from the US. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much good stuff out there for WCW! I have more to peruse myself.

    Oof, I thought of you with all the National Daughter's Day. It was RELENTLESS. And, um, which nation? Is this even real? Your cottage weekend looked fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the WCW posts, videos, and comments I saw. Jess was so good!

    National Daughter/Son Days was SO ratt-a-tatt-y. EVERYWHERE I looked for a whole week, there it was.

    I'm intrigued by your request for pandemic travel tips...can't wait to hear what's behind that!

    ReplyDelete