Monday, February 7, 2022

#MicroblogMondays: Small pleasures & annoying things

Small pleasures: 
  • Stumbling onto reruns of "That Girl," one of my favourite TV shows from childhood (and groundbreaking for its day -- one of the very first shows -- even before "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" -- to feature a young single woman living by herself and trying to forge an acting career in New York City). 
  • Taking delivery of some pretty new sweaters that I ordered online, on sale. They fit -- AND the colours are PERFECT on me!! (Now to be able to WEAR them somewhere...!) 
  • Watching the figure skating team events at the Olympics (even if Canada wound up in 4th, after winning gold last time around). 
    • Watching our Canadian women's champion, Madeline Schizas, age 18 and under extreme pressure, absolutely killing it in both the women's short & long segments of the team competition (skating well enough in the short program to pull Canada into the finals, after the qualifying rounds). I was nervous about her prospects, but I think she has a great future ahead of her! 
Annoying things: 
  • When the same ads keep repeating over and over and OVER again on TV (even before the Olympics started...!). 
    • When the ad music is especially annoying but earworm-ish and you can't help but have it playing in your head over & over again. 
  • Discovering that the bottom sheet on our bed has shredded -- the second set of sheets ruined in recent years. (They weren't cheap, either!) Luckily I had a spare set!  
  • In my email inbox:  
    • Marketing email from national department store, titled "Something for you + your mini me" (a matching set of mother/baby slippers). 
    • And then, just a few minutes later: a New York Times newsletter, with the header, "Rihanna and the Art of the Pregnancy Portrait Shoot."  I mean, seriously??!
  • Zits on my chin and under my nose. You'd think I was 16 instead of 61...! 
  • The book I'm reading right now is taking more time to get through than I had anticipated. 
  • Not being able to think of anything more original for a #MicroblogMondays post. 
You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here

4 comments:

  1. I've been snagging bits and pieces of the figure skating, so fun! I haven't seen Madeline Schizas yet though. Now I have to look her up! Yay fun sweaters in the mail. UGH is the Mother's Day onslaught here already? Or is this just run-of-the-mill mommy-and-me mismarketing? Ugh. Oh man, I guess I didn't know (or forgot) that Rihanna is expecting. That's a one-two in the inbox! What book are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddie does not have the triple axel or the quads that the Russian girl does (yet??), but she skated cleanly... just turned one triple to a double. She delivered when we needed her to do it. Pretty amazing!

      I'm reading Carl Bernstein's memoir, "Chasing History," about how he got his start as a reporter. He was 16 years old, still in high school, and he was helping to cover John F. Kennedy's presidential press conferences!! It's fun reading but it's long and it's slower going than I thought.

      Delete
  2. At least you remembered your MM post - I forgot. Off to write it now!

    I saw your skater - she was so graceful.

    Ugh to the annoying things.

    Yay to lovely flattering new clothes. Wear them around the house, just because you can.

    ReplyDelete