Monday, March 7, 2022

#MicroblogMondays: Annoying things & small pleasures

Annoying things: 
  • Grey skies, freezing drizzle. :p  
  • The numbers of people talking and acting like the pandemic is over, now that almost all restrictions have been lifted here (or soon will be). Spoiler alert:  it's not. 
    • I have been reading post after post on social media from people who say they have gone these entire past two years without knowing anyone who had been sick -- who are suddenly surrounded by them, and/or are getting sick themselves. Apparently covid is rampant among kids' hockey teams in the Toronto area right now...! 
  • BIL telling us he'd told Younger Nephew, when they visited this weekend, "I thought you might have some NEWS for us."  I couldn't help myself, I groaned aloud, "Oh PLEASE don't say ever say that to anyone!"  Sigh...  NOBODY of childbearing age needs that kind of pressure, especially not from their parents!  :(  
  • Finding a hole in the crotch /inside thigh area of my favourite pair of jeans. It's not that large or noticeable (yet) and I can probably get some further wear out of them before tossing them. But it's still annoying.  :(  
    • More annoying still: they're a style of jeans from Old Navy that seems to have been discontinued (Curvy Straight, ankle length). 
Small pleasures: 
  • Some great reading lately. :) 
  • Chicken and dumplings in the crockpot for dinner.  Perfect comfort food for a cold, rainy/snowy grey day -- and smells so good while cooking!  :) 
    • I use this easy recipe, found on Pinterest... I found it overly salty the first time I made it, but you can cut (way!) back on the salt, and use reduced or no-salt chicken broth and cream of chicken soup. We use a bag of fresh baby carrots (cut into chunks) & frozen peas for the veggies (in addition to the onion). For the dumplings, I use a can of 10 Pillsbury Country Biscuits, and flatten them before chopping them up. I cut them into smaller pieces than the picture in the article shows, but of course you can make them whatever size you like!   
  • Getting haircuts this past weekend. I feel like I'll never take a haircut for granted again, after going for up to 17 weeks without one during this pandemic!  
  • Taking some spring/Easter-ish decorations to the cemetery for Katie. 
  • Getting to see both nephews as well as Little Great-Nephew at BIL's house on Saturday night. 
  • The knowledge that it's March (February is over!!), and spring will be here, sooner versus later...! 
You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm soooooo glad you said that aloud to BIL. He needs to know how cruel it can be. Good for you.

    I know that feeling about favourite jeans. Argh.

    Yay to comfort food, haircuts, and nephews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the weather has been downright oppressive. I'm all for warming up a bit but the greyness, the rain, the freezing bits, yuck.
    Huzzah for speaking up to BIL. That kind of pressure is gross and unhelpful at best.
    Mmmm, I used to love chicken and dumplings! I have to figure out a substitute for the pillsbury things (sooo not GF) but now you've got me craving comfort food. March kind of demands it.
    I keep seeing videos on Pinterest for how to fix those crotch fraying holes -- I haven't tried it yet myself but it looks super easy (and that is ALWAYS where my jeans fail me eventually). It stinks when you have a favorite jean and it gets discontinued. Ugh.
    Yay haircut! I have to wait until April for mine (been since November) because my lady had a baby and like a dingbat I didn't make my appointment once she let me know her return date and now there's a waitlist. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete