Wednesday, August 30, 2023

(Gradually!) Letting go

My mom called me this afternoon:  Parents' Neighbours' Daughter was bringing newborn Little Princess #3 over to meet them, and she didn't have a gift for her yet. She wanted to know if I would be willing to let her have something from a box of things she'd collected --25 years ago now -- for Katie -- some of them gifts from family friends and neighbours, some things she'd collected herself. 

The box -- a little wooden chest -- sits on the floor in the bedroom where dh & I stay whenever we're there -- but I have never really looked inside to see what's in there. I've peeked a few times in the past and found it just too difficult to explore beyond the surface. (Also, part of me would like my mom to sit with me and tell me what was from who, etc.  But part of me shys away from that too. I know we would both probably cry.) I know there's a fuzzy bunting bag that I remember my mom excitedly telling me about when she bought it, during my pregnancy -- such a bargain!  And a Bunnykins cup and bowl.  (I just did a search, and I wrote a post about this little chest and its contents back in 2009.) 

One of the items in the chest is a little white sweater set, handknit with love by Mom's wonderful neighbour, M., who died some years ago, not too many years after we lost Katie.  M. lived across the street from my parents and next-door to PND & her family, and often looked after PND & her brothers when their parents were out or away on a business trip. PND remembers M. well, and if there's anyone who would appreciate and treasure this lovely gift, it would be her.  

My mom had approached me with a similar request before Little Princess #1 was born in 2011, 12 years ago now. (I found a post I wrote then too!) But back then, I was just not ready to let go anything that would have been Katie's.  

This time, I told my mother yes.    

4 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm sending you a huge hug. How lovely that PND will understand the history behind this gift, having known and loved (and loving) all the people involved, and she will remember Katie too, which makes it the perfect gift. It still can't have been easy for you. So here's another hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful gesture to pass along to someone who remembers the maker as well. I am so inspired by you, what a lovely, brave and strong thing you did today. Sending gentle hugs for you and your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a big step! It was brave of you to take it. I'm sure PND will appreciate it more than any other gift Princess #3 has gotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How bittersweet, the prospect of looking inside that chest. I agree with A that this is a very brave step, one of strength and resilience that you have cultivated over the years.

    Crying is probably warranted :-).

    ReplyDelete