Monday, October 2, 2023

#MicroblogMondays: Does anybody really know what time it is?*

*  with apologies to the band Chicago for stealing their title, lol. 

(I mentioned this incident in my recent "Right Now" post for October -- but I realized, even as I posted it, that this would make a great (short!) #MM post too! -- so here it is, again, slightly expanded...!)  

I realized, at dh's cousin's cottage, late on Friday afternoon, that my watch had stopped, sometime just after 3 p.m. (I have another watch -- which was at home, in my jewelry box -- but its battery also ran out a while back!) 

I just took off the watch & put it in my purse -- no point in having it on when it's showing the incorrect time every time I look at it -- but I feel really weird -- oddly incomplete -- without it.  I know a lot of younger people don't wear watches anymore -- they just look at their cellphones to check the time -- but I've worn a watch more or less every day since I got my first wind-up Timex from my parents for my 8th birthday in 1969. :) 

I tend to keep my watches for a long time, too.  (I think I still have that Timex, in a drawer somewhere.)  After the Timex, I wore a nurse's watch for years that my grandparents had given my mother for her high school graduation in 1959. (I did get a new band for it at one point, and had it serviced a few times. I haven't worn it in decades, but it's still in my jewelry box too.)  Dh gave me a watch for Christmas, early in our marriage, and I wore that for years too (and still have it). Then I got two more watches as long-service awards from the bank I worked for -- a Seiko on my 20-year anniversary in 2006, I think, and then a Michael Kors (which turned out to be much larger than it looked on the computer screen...!), as a retirement gift when I "officially" retired in February 2016 (after being laid off & on severance pay since July 2014).  I'm still wearing the Seiko regularly, with the Michael Kors as a backup. Time to get to the mall and get a new battery(s, for both watches)...!  

I do have another watch -- a really cheap, sparkly one that I bought to accessorize a dress I wore to Older Nephew's wedding. I suppose I could dig that one out & see if it still works while I'm waiting to get the others fixed?  

I also had a watch that had belonged to dh's mother, which his dad gave me before we got married. I wore it on our wedding day in 1985 (as my "something old") -- and I passed it on to Older Nephew's Wife before THEIR wedding, 7 years ago (this past weekend, in fact!), and she wore it then too.  (I wrote about that particular watch in this post.) 

How about you? Do you wear a watch?  

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here.

5 comments:

  1. I used to have a watch, and the closest I've come to wearing one again is a fitbit. I have no desire to have a smartwatch (and don't wear the fitbit anymore, I had some weird skin reaction to the metal on the back). I pretty much just look at my phone when I need to know the time. Fun fact -- kids don't know how to read an analog clock anymore. I couldn't figure out why they would sign out for the bathroom and pause to go look at the wall phone. It's because it's a digital clock on the phone and they can't read the wall clock. MIND BLOWN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too. That was one of the first things we learned when I went to kindergarten!! I don't think I had a digital alarm clock until I was a married adult!

      Delete
  2. I like so much classical clocks, not the electronic of today with only a poor battery. A classic clock lives years with the same battery. And a clock is only a funcional clock. In this área I think that the traditional are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still a watch wearer, and like you, have been since I got my first ever watch, when I was about 11 I think. My last two watches have been the Skagen brand, which I love for its clean nordic lines, and the meshing of gold and silver metals. My husband wears a fitbit since his last watch died, and tries to encourage me to too, but my watch looks so much nicer! I do feel naked without a watch, and know I could just check my phone, but ... it's hard to adapt.

    I remember the shock I felt when my niece Charlie made some comment about "learning to read an analog clock" at school. And on our recent family trip, I asked the kids (ranging from age 22 to 16) if they could read the clock on the wall in the kitchen. They managed, but had to work it out very deliberately - and to me, slowly! (And they are VERY bright kids.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I wore a watch starting in elementary school. For a birthday, I got a ballerina watch, which was my prized possesion for many years. Then a timex, Then something digital (LCD). Once smart phones came on the scene, I ditched watches for awhile, but now I have a smart watch I love. Not to tell time with, lol, but to do other things (like track walks, and alert me to messages). Do we ever NOT know what time it is these days?

    ReplyDelete