I've been collecting "odds & ends" of links for at least a month now... I know I've missed out on recording a LOT of great stuff I've read lately, but I think it's time to share what I do have!
- Big (((hugs))) to Mali at No Kidding in NZ, who recently lost her husband. :(
- Ali Hall at Life Without Children ponders something many childless & childfree women have realized: too many people wanting (expecting?) a village, too few people stepping up as villagers. ("How Expecting One-Way Support From Women Without Kids to Mothers Is Anti-Village.")
- Also from Ali Hall: "Why It’s Important for Childfree and Childless People to Have Friends Without Kids" (as well as parent friends).
- Jody Day shares more details about her Alterkin project, one year after it began, on her Gateway Elderwomen Substack.
- Not necessarily ALI/CNBC related, but worth a read (made me smile!): Mary Elizabeth Williams, an American living in Glasgow and writing on Substack, ponders "What Scotland's Tartan Army can show us about joy." :) (One memorable line: "be the chaos goblin you wish to see in the world." lol)
- This one might not be an an easy read for some of us in our community -- I certainly found myself cringing as I read it. And for a "Critic's Notebook," I wish the article contained less of fashion commentary and more actual criticism, and had more to say about pronatalism and the agenda at work here, etc. But it certainly reflects where American society & politics are right now...! Gift link: "The Politics and Power of the Pregnancy Image."
- A member of my Childless Collective Nomo Book Club -- where we recently read "You Are Here" by David Nicholls, one of my favourite novels of recent years -- alerted us recently that the BBC is adapting the novel, and has cast Claire Foy and Matthew Macfadyen in the roles of Marnie and Michael. Nicholls is doing the screenplay, and the director, Lenny Abrahamson, was in charge of the exquisite screen version of "Normal People," so this bodes well!
- Sara Petersen at "In Pursuit of Clean Countertops" on Patreon talked to Kathryn Jezer-Morton about her new book ("The Story of Your Life"), "the flat story," "snark communities" and redemption narratives. Fascinating stuff!
- Kirstie Kimball at "beyondbeurreblanc" is an independent food critic from Minnesota, who wrote a moving essay about her infertility: "The Ghost in My Third Bedroom." (T/W: Cancer.)
- Jill Holly at "Spinster-esque" on Substack has some great content related to being childless/free, including several recent posts with reading recommendations. Example: "Books to become a feisty childfree elder: All the inspo you need to age disgracefully." ;)
- Lana Manikowski has had several thoughtful posts lately on her Substack "Infertile and Childless. So Now What?" including "The Hardest Part of Infertility" and "I’m Not the Same Woman I Was When Fertility Treatment Ended." Sample passage:
For years, I thought surviving fertility treatment was the hardest part. Looking back, I couldn’t have been more wrong.Turns out, the hardest part wasn’t going through IVF. It was figuring out who I was when there wasn’t another protocol to try or another cycle to start.
No comments:
Post a Comment