Monday, August 20, 2018

#MicroblogMonday: Of coffee cups & caskets

33 years ago in July, we returned from our honeymoon to our newly rented midtown apartment, and on Monday morning, dh went off to work (I had yet to find myself a job in my new city). I was surprised when the buzzer rang and my new father-in-law appeared at the door. He wouldn't stay -- but he handed me a bag containing an espresso pot, six espresso cups (with saucers and spoons), a can of espresso coffee and a couple of packages of ladyfinger cookies (great for dunking). I still have those cups -- albeit one is chipped and I use it as a teabag holder, lol.

FIL loved his espresso coffee and continued drinking it almost until the very end (even after he'd mostly stopped eating) -- so when we were trying to think of something to put with him in his casket, an espresso cup was a logical choice. We buried him last week with one of the cups and saucers he'd given us, along with a small espresso pot and a pack of his favourite brand of cigarettes.

We will miss you, Dad. ❤️❤️❤️

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here.

One of six espresso cups & saucers FIL delivered to our door
one July morning, 33 years ago.
"We brought you your coffee, Dad," SIL whispered with a smile
as she tucked it into the casket beside him at the funeral home last week.  

6 comments:

  1. I love that you will always think of him when you drink espresso. How could you not? What a thoughtful man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm... the irony is that I have never been able to drink espresso!! (lol) I do have the occasional latte at Starbucks ;) & BIL makes a pretty good cappucino with his Nespresso machine -- but straight espresso? No can do. (I've tried.) But FIL loved it. :)

      Delete
  2. So beautiful. I teared up at the thought of bringing Dad coffee in the little espresso cups at the funeral. What a wonderful man, what great memories you have, what a loss this is for your family. I am thinking of you and your husband with so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely gesture! And to an Italian, espresso would be an essential of life, I guess, and he didn't want you to miss out. I'm glad you have these happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful memory and gesture. May your espresso cups always bring you joyful memories.

    ReplyDelete