Wednesday, June 23, 2010

One of those days....

  • Day 3 of G-20 week. Woke up this morning to hear that the bomb squad was searching a house in a very nice area of Toronto (!) & that it was "G-20 related."
  • When we got to work, we heard there was a scare on the subway (which turned out to be nothing).
  • More police & security officers, everywhere.
  • About 1:45 p.m., I was sitting at my desk when I felt an odd sort of vibration/swaying sensation. My first thought was "explosion" -- but there wasn't really any sound. People started popping out of their cubicles saying, "Did you feel that?" A few minutes later, we learned it was an earthquake. We later learned it was at least 5.0 on the Richter scale, centred north of Ottawa. It's not the first earthquake I've been in since moving to southern Ontario 25+ years ago, but it's the first time I've been in one at work. Growing up on the Prairies sure doesn't prepare you for these things...!
  • I heard from a friend in Ottawa that their offices were being evacuated but no such luck here. We did get an e-mail from security, assuring us that our data centres were unaffected. As Archie Bunker used to say, "Whoop-dee-doo." :p
  • Went downstairs to get a tea, passed by two pregnant women en route, had one standing in line ahead of me & one in the line beside me. It just seemed par for the course...!
  • On the train ride home, I got to listen to two idiots not only going through the crossword puzzle together -- loudly-- but the guy was actually SINGING some of the clues to his girlfriend. (!!)
  • I get to work from home tomorrow & Friday; however, dh still has to go into the city. Protest activity is expected to escalate over the next few days. We didn't ask for this (whose bright idea was it...??), & I can't wait for it to be over. I haven't slept well all week.

3 comments:

  1. One of those days is right. Crazy! I hope tomorrow is a little calmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! (That's all I got. What a day.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hosted the G20 here in my hometown (Pittsburgh) last year.
    It sounds very similar to what you are going through. Everything was shut down so how did hosting this conference bring money into the city?
    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete