Monday, October 10, 2016

#MicroblogMondays: Thanksgiving

It's Thanksgiving here in Canada -- and I guess it's no secret to regular readers here that (like many other childless/free women) I have mixed feelings about this and other such holidays that are heavily family-oriented. Christmas is generally not an issue (or as much of an issue) for me, as we have always travelled to be with my family (and get thoroughly stuffed with traditional goodies, lol :) ).   Thanksgiving and Easter, however, we often find ourselves at loose ends -- adding to my/our feelings of "otherness" as the lone childless couple on both sides of dh's extended family.

BIL often winds up with his inlaws, and although we are often invited to join them (and have done so on a few occasions), it always feels a bit like we are crashing the party. Depending on his & stepMIL's own plans, FIL might call us to join them -- or not. Such invitations often come at the last minute, leaving me feeling resentful and like a bit of an afterthought. Personally, I would much prefer us to simply make our own plans, perhaps spend the weekend at a resort up north, admiring the fall colours, or treat ourselves to a swanky Thanksgiving buffet at one of the downtown hotels -- but dh feels like as long as his father is still with us, he should be there for him. I respect that, although the lack of clarity around these holidays always leaves me feeling frustrated. This year, however, we're a 45-minute drive away from FIL, versus the previous 15, and dh might not be as inclined to accept a last-minute invitation. Holidays are supposed to be happy times, but I'll admit I am usually relieved when they are over and we can get back to our normal routines.

Nevertheless, this IS THANKSgiving, and despite my whining (sorry!) there is much I can be thankful for:
  • My wonderful dh. I'll admit that his determination to sell our house & move into a condo put some strain on our relationship earlier this year -- but we both survived. He is much happier these days -- and, as a result, so am I. ;) 
  • Our lovely new home. I wasn't sure about condo living (and I'm still not enthralled by the town itself where we're living), but we definitely found the right condo. :)
  • Our wonderful families, who have always loved and supported us (even if they haven't always understood our decisions).  
  • Our two nephews. Being an aunt is not a substitute for being a parent -- but it's pretty damned special in its own right. ;)  I still can't believe they are all grown up and getting married (the years went by waaaayyyyy too fast...!). Getting to be part of Older Nephew's big day earlier this month was an experience I will always treasure.
  • Early retirement, with its freedom from the daily stresses of working and commuting.
  • The great weather we've been having lately (nephew's wedding day notwithstanding...!).  I only JUST (reluctantly!) relinquished my capris & sandals. It's chillier these days (long pants, socks and sweaters or jackets required), but still sunny and pleasant outside.
  • The beautiful autumn colours, just now revealing themselves.
  • Being Canadian. :) I live in an amazing country. :)  
  • Social media. It's not always a good thing -- but I've been able to reconnect with friends & relatives I haven't heard from in years (including one just yesterday), and I so enjoy being able to stay in touch this way. And I've made some great new friends online over the past 20 years too -- present company included! ;)
Whether you celebrate Thanksgiving now, in November, some other time, or not at all, what are you thankful for?

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here 

5 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! I can understand the difficulties of the holidays, especially one where "otherness" is highlighted. I love your list of thankfuls. I'm thankful it's finally chilly, and it is starting to look like fall. I am thankful that no matter what is thrown at us, Bryce and I can talk things through. Those are good things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you ended up having a good dinner and a relaxing holiday.

    What am I thankful for? Wool socks, family, and books. Not necessarily in that order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This time of year is hard for so many reasons. It sucks to feel like an afterthought and be reminded that you are taking a different road most won't understand. But I am thankful for you and the friendship we've built over the years. And I'm wishing you and dh a peaceful Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving! I love your list of things that you are thankful for!

    Wishing you peace and contentment during this holiday season!

    Also, I love the timeframe of Canadian Thanksgiving. It's so much better than American Thanksgiving, which I've always felt is too close to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for my family and my husband. Also some really good friends from Ireland that even though we might only get to meet up once a twice a year, it's always like no time has passed.

    ReplyDelete