Thursday, October 6, 2016

Wedding wrapup :)

Oldest Nephew waits for his bride
and the big "reveal."
* Sorry to have missed #MicroblogMonday this week. It's not often that I do, but needless to say, I've been busy. ;) 
* The waterproof mascara was put to the test multiple times over several days, and performed beautifully. I originally bought a tube of Maybelline Great Lash (= cheap), and it was OK, but it didn't quite lengthen my lashes as much as I like, so I coughed up the extra money and bought a tube of Clinique, which looked great and worked equally well.
* There were more than a few glitches along the way. To name a few: it rained, so the outdoor ceremony the bride & groom had wanted so much had to be moved indoors... the limo blew a tire on the way from the bride's home to the wedding venue, with the entire bridal party inside (fortunately, the bride's parents, dh & I were travelling the same route, not long afterwards, saw the limo pulled over by the side of the road, & were able to ferry the passengers in batches to the hall, which wasn't too far away)... and the newlyweds' planned honeymoon at a luxury resort in Jamaica had to be rescheduled because of hurricane Matthew. (They spent a few days in Niagara Falls instead.)
* But it was still a beautiful day, & everyone had a fabulous time. :)
* It didn't pour all day, and we were able to take some photos outside. The light from the overcast sky was actually probably better than if the sun had been blazing, and the leaves were just starting to change colour. Even the candid snaps I took look fabulous.
* The puppy spent the day/night at a kennel. :)  (I know some of you were wondering, lol.)
* Oldest Nephew looked so handsome in his new blue suit. When dh & I arrived at his parents' house, he was out on the back deck, having his photo taken with his parents. One look and... cue the waterworks!!
* The bride looked equally stunning. Her dress was sort of an antique ivory lace, strapless and mermaid style with a bow and train at the back. No veil. The bridesmaids' dresses were long and lacy, a deep purple/burgundy shade. Gorgeous colour for fall!
* My own dress (purchased last March) was an absolute smash hit. (There's a photo at the bottom of this post. I may or may not delete it after a few days.) I got tons of compliments on it. It will be hard to find something equally or more fabulous for Younger Nephew's wedding in Spring 2018. But I guess I have time to start hunting!  lol  
* My shoes were killing me within about 10 minutes of putting them on. Thank goodness I brought flipflops (elegant black & silver ones that went with my dress, lol) -- I thought I would change into them later for dancing, but they came in very handy throughout the day!
* Emotional as the day was for dh & me, it was also extremely emotional for the bride and her family, for more than the usual reasons. Her father died when she was a little girl;  they honoured him in several ways, including displaying his framed photo in the foyer at the reception with a boutonniere beside it.
* The bride danced the traditional father-daughter dance with her mother's partner, who has been like a father to her.  This is always an emotional part of any wedding for dh & me, for obvious reasons, and even more so on this occasion.
* I had not heard the music for the father-daughter dance before, but I looked it up and apparently it was written and sung by Michael Bolton (!). Read the lyrics and you'll understand why I was in tears for more reason than one. Dh had left the table before the dance was announced, but I saw him come in and our eyes met across the room as we both watched: 

"Fathers And Daughters (Never Say Goodbye)"

If I could catch a star for you I swear I'd steal them all tonight
To make your every wish come true and every dream for all your life

But that's not how the story goes
The world is full of perfect plans
If there's a promise that I broke, I know one day you will understand

When times are hard I know you'll be strong
I'll be there in you heart when you'll carry on
Like moonlight on the water, and sunlight in the sky
Fathers and daughters never say goodbye

An Angel I will read to sleep, gave me one dream of my own
So learn to love and spread your wings, and find the one to call your home

When times are hard I know you'll be strong
I'll be there in you heart when you'll carry on
Like moonlight on the water, and sunlight in the sky
Fathers and daughters never say goodbye

When times are hard I know you'll be strong
I'll be there in you heart when you'll carry on
Like moonlight on the water, and sunlight in the sky

Fathers and daughters never say goodbye
Fathers and daughters never say goodbye


I don't often post photos of myself on my blog,
but with this dress to show off, I couldn't resist. ;)
Isn't it fabulous??
(And I don't look half bad in it either, lol. ;)  )

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful dress!

    And that song hit me right in the feels...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dress!!! You and dh look smashing.

    Got teary-eyes reading all of this. And that song. Oh my heart.

    Wishing the bride and groom many happy years of togetherness

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous couple! And the bride and groom ain't half bad either... ;)

    I hope all the minor irritations gotten out of the way on the wedding day will bring many years of smooth sailing for the future. Congratulations to the happy couple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your dress - it's fabulous indeed! And what a song... so many emotions...

    My best wishes to the newlyweds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress is fabulous! I loved seeing wedding pics on IG too. And the song lyrics have me tearing up here. Even the happiest of days carry their bittersweetness for those we'd like to share them with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pics, lovely couple, and a great looking dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You two look great! I love reading your posts, and it's lovely to put a face with both you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GAAAAGH! That song! Why are my eyes leaking so much? Wow. I don't know how you could have a dry eye after that.

    Beautiful lady in a beautiful dress! (You AND the bride)

    I'm so glad it went well despite the rain and the blown limo tire...those things are crazy on the day of but make for great stories later and more memories to share (after you've gotten over the setbacks on the day of course). Thank you for sharing the wedding wrap-up, and it's so nice to see your face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sniffling here, too. Wow. What an emotion filled day for all. The description, I'm sure only scratches the surface. Gorgeous all around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wondering about puppy. :-)

    You look beautiful. And it sounds like a day you'll remember forever. Holding your husband in my heart as I hear about that song. And you. And Katie.

    ReplyDelete