Monday, August 19, 2019

#MicroblogMondays: Tips for better reading

Have any of you read any books by Gretchen Rubin?  Her first and probably best-known book is "The Happiness Project," which I started reading some years ago but haven't finished. She's also the author of (among other volumes) "The Four Tendencies," which examines how people respond to inner and outer expectations according to their personality type: Upholder, Questioner, Obliger and Rebel.

I haven't read that book either (yet?), but I have done the quiz on her website and determined that I am a classic Obliger ( = people pleaser). Obligers "meet outer expectations, but struggle to meet the inner expectations they impose on themselves."

This week on her blog, Gretchen talked about the Four Tendencies in terms of reading, and helping us to read more. According to Gretchen:
Obligers need outer accountability to meet inner expectations. Crucial! To read more, join a book group. Tell your children you're going to read the books assigned in their classes, so you can discuss the books as a family. Use the library, so you have to finish a book to return it by its due date. Use the Goodreads Reading Challenge to challenge yourself in public to read a certain number of books in a year.
I had to laugh, because -- the "tell your children" suggestion aside, obviously -- I am doing just about all of these things.  And I've already reached my Goodreads Reading Challenge total for the year, so I guess I'm doing something right.  Read Gretchen's blog to find the reading tips for your own personality type!

In a similar vein, the New York Times is also offering a seven-day program of tips on how to be a better reader. Follow the link to sign up for the emails!

Here's a post from last year where I offered my own thoughts on what helps me read more books.

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here

4 comments:

  1. You reminded me that I took the same quiz. I looked back to see what my type is, and I'm already doing the thing that helps me be a better reader.

    I put reading on my ToDo list, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I'm an Upholder, apparently! I actually do put reading on my to do lists (and I have a "books to read" list and a "books I've read" list), but especially in the summer, it's a priority. I also carry a book with me all the time, in my purse/bag, so it's easy to whip it out. :)

    Hey, we both wrote about reading this week! This was super interesting, thanks for pointing me in Gretchen's direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I wrote about reading too - last week in my Right Now post.

    I suspect I'm an Obliger, but I've never done the test. Okay, I just did the test but as I refuse to give my email address I don't know what I am! lol I either found that none of the answers truly applied to me, or they all did in different ways. I hate those tests!

    However, everything you wrote about how to read more applies to me. Using my e-library means that my book is deleted from my device when it expires, and instead of just trying to renew a book or putting it back on hold, I'm really trying now to finish the books before they are due.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently, I'm a rebel? But I think I'm closer to a mix of questioner and rebel. At any rate, I read when I want to read! So, that part of it is true enough. I don't need to read more - there's probably other things I should be doing!

    ReplyDelete