Saturday, November 14, 2020

"Amberwell" by D.E. Stevenson (re-read)

 

My D.E. Stevenson online fan group just finished reading & discussing "Amberwell," which I first read earlier this fall and previously reviewed hereAs I mentioned a while back, I figure a re-read still counts as another book read. ;)  

After my first read of the book -- on my Kindle app on my phone, an edition from Endeavour Press -- I found out that some editions of this book -- including mine, unfortunately -- have been abridged. :(  So I was happy to discover a different edition among some ebooks (e-pub files) my sister had given me for my Kobo e-reader.  At first glance, it seemed to be unabridged -- but as I read through the book again, comparing the two versions side by side as I went along, I found some interesting differences.  This edition (pictured here -- which I believe was from HarperCollins, but I'm not entirely sure, as there was very little publisher information provided) did contain additional lines, paragraphs and full passages that weren't included in my Kindle version -- but there were a few places where the Kindle version contained material that wasn't in my e-pub version -- and in a couple of places, the two different editions were wildly different. It made for some interesting discussions in our group! 

My original Goodreads rating of 4 stars still stands. 

"Amberwell" has a sequel, "Summerhills," and I'm looking forward to reading more about the Ayrton family -- but before we tackle that, we're going to read "The Young Clementina" next, for a little variety. ;)  

This was Book #38 read to date in 2020 (Book #1 finished in November), bringing me to 127% of my 2020 Goodreads Reading Challenge goal of 30 books. I have completed & now exceeded my challenge goal for the year by 8 books, and am (for the moment, anyway...!) 12 books ahead of schedule. :)  You can find reviews of all my books read to date in 2020 tagged as "2020 books." 

No comments:

Post a Comment