Friday, January 29, 2021

Odds & ends

  • The New York Times had an article last weekend, about the intersection of celebrity, social media and commerce:  "Celebrity Pregnancy Is Big Business."  (What, they only JUST noticed?!)  
    • Somewhat pleasant surprise:  towards the end, there's a discussion about what happens when a very public pregnancy goes wrong (example: Chrissy Teigen).  
  • Jan. 25th marked one year since the first COVID-19 patient was diagnosed in Canada, and there were lots of "one year later" retrospective pieces in the media. I'll probably be doing one myself, but closer to March 12th, which is what I think of as "the last normal day" -- one day after the World Health Organization declared a pandemic, and shortly before the Ontario provincial government announced a state of emergency.  
    • Today's Facebook Memories turned up my first COVID-19-related post from last year -- I shared a New York Times article about the importance of hand washing to avoid the coronavirus. Little did we know then...!  
  • Manitoba eased some of its COVID-19 restrictions last weekend, which meant my sister & her partner were able to spend last weekend with my parents for the first time since well before Christmas, and do some things around the house, one week after our 81-year-old dad slipped and fell on the driveway and cracked two ribs. Dad apparently told the boyfriend that he's feeling a bit better -- and he tends to be more honest with him than he is with any of us...!  So we'll take that as a good sign.  

4 comments:

  1. I remember my last normal day. For me it was March 13th, the last time I ate in a restaurant. I ordered french toast with bacon and eggs at a diner type place. It makes me sad to think about...

    I am glad to hear that your Dad is reporting to feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your Dad is recovering.

    Will have a look at that NYT article. It is good that they are at last admitting that pregnancies can go wrong.

    A year. It's hard to think. And yet we still have so far to go. The world isn't safe till vaccinations are available all over the world. Vaccination nationalism will affect that. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, the turning point was when the NBA cancelled the entire remainder of the season IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME. I think it was March 13.

    How naive we all were a year ago.

    Glad your dad is doing OK, and that he's being honest with the partner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I talked to Dad yesterday... he wasn't feeling quite as good as he had the previous day, but says he's definitely better than he was last week. Progress...!

    ReplyDelete