Annoying things:
- Maybe it's because I spent three weeks at my dad's, but it feels like this summer was especially short and went by WAY too fast. :(
- September arrived with a resurgence of summer heat & humidity on the 1st. :p Temperatures peaked at 26C, with the humidity making it feel more like 35C. (That's 79F and 95F.)
- Crossing my fingers it will be gone by this time next week: repairs to our rooftop "chiller" unit, which provides air conditioning to the building, are scheduled then -- and we will be without a/c for a few days until the job is done...!
- Like clockwork on Sept. 1st, I received an email from my family doctor with a requisition for bloodwork (to check my cholesterol levels in particular), six months after my last check-in. Sigh... I knew it was coming (if not exactly on the 1st!), but I am NOT looking forward to this...! I've been doing the best I can, but with all the upheaval around my mom's death, extended time spent with my dad, etc., it's NOT been a great year, nutritionally or activity-wise...!
- Remember the new sheets I wrote about, a little while back? I said I was going to order a second set to keep in reserve, and I did that not long after I wrote that post. Delivery was scheduled between Aug. 21st and 25th.
- I didn't get any delivery notifications (not sure I signed up for them?), but I checked the tracking number with Canada Post on Monday, Aug. 24th -- and it indicated the package was delivered on Friday, Aug. 21st. ??? Some packages get left right outside our condo unit door, but anything that comes from Canada Post usually goes into a package locker in the mailbox area in the lobby downstairs, and they put a key to the locker in your mailbox.
- Dh went downstairs to check -- but nothing was there?? And he told me he'd checked the mail on Friday or Saturday, and there WAS a key to the package locker then (he didn't know or remember I was expecting a package) -- so he put the key into the return slot and didn't think anything of it.
- We figured there was some kind of mixup and my package was probably sitting in another locker. I called the property manager: they don't have access to the mailboxes (rightly so), but she suggested we could put up a sign for the mail carrier by the boxes, or call Canada Post.
- We stopped at a postal outlet on our way back from the mall on Tuesday (Aug. 25th), and asked the clerk there for advice, and she gave me a 1-800 number to call. Of course it was all AI bots (eyeroll), and I couldn't get anywhere when I asked to speak to a human. I wound up going to their website and using the chatbot there to open an investigation.
- I was told I'd hear from them one way or another within three business days. (After that, I'd have to contact the sender.) It was SO annoying to know my package was very likely still in the building, but I couldn't get to it!!
- Small pleasure: When we got back from visiting SIL and the Little Great-Nephews the next day around noon (Wednesday, Aug. 26th), my package was sitting outside our door! I figure either Canada Post contacted the delivery person for our building and s/he brought it right to our door, or someone got our package by mistake and brought it over and left it there.
- Either way, I finally got my new sheets, and I'm happy. :) It's the first time I've had trouble with a package delivery since we moved here.
- EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I've been at the mall lately (over the past six months, at least, possibly longer), I've walked by a certain spot in the mall where there are a couple of long, comfortable cushioned benches to sit on. And there's always at least one, sometimes two or more young women there. (There were FIVE on a recent visit in August!!) They often have some kind of duffel bag or even a small trolley in font of them. Their phones/cameras and sometimes even lights are set up on tripods, and they're pulling items of clothing out of the bag and holding them up in front of the camera, gesturing and talking rapidly. It's clear they're some sort of online "influencers" (or wannabes), showing off their latest purchases. They take up valuable seating/rest space -- and even if there is an empty spot I don't want to sit there and listen to them or chance showing up in the background of their videos. It's annoying as heck. :p
- American news anchors and reporters who can't pronounce "premier" or "Ontario." (On top of the even more annoying reasons why Ontario and its premier are in the American news lately in the first place...!) Two times in two days this past week, I noticed CNN anchors mentioning "the preMEER of OnTAAHrio." (It's "the PREEmyeer of OnTAIRio"!!) Sigh....
Small pleasures:
- Reading more again lately. I read 7 books in August (!) and I don't remember the last time I got through that many books in one month?? Not in recent years, for sure...!
- Making plans to go for brunch on Tuesday (first day of school hereabouts)... because we can! lol :) (One of the perqs of being childless, and retired!)
- Spending time with the Little Great-Nephews, before Older LGN heads back to school (We'll still be seeing his little brother most weeks -- he stays with his grandmother during the day while his parents are at work, as his brother once did.)
- Also: getting to see Older Nephew's dog last weekend, when he & the kids were at BIL & SIL's. :) Hadn't seen him in quite a while, and he was SO happy to see us! :) (He turned TEN this summer!)
No comments:
Post a Comment