I hugely enjoyed "The Wedding People" by Alison Espach the first time I read it, back in February 2025, and I immediately pegged it as a book my Childless Collective Nomo Book Club would likely enjoy, as it features that rare creature: a childless-not-by-choice heroine! Happily, my co-host read the book and agreed! and our group will be reading and chatting about "The Wedding People" throughout the month of October. :) I just finished re-reading it in preparation for our discussions, and (spoiler alert! lol) I enjoyed it just as much the second time around.
At first glance at the cover and description, you might dismiss this one as a "beach read" -- after all, it takes place during a lavish week-long "destination wedding" at a swanky oceanside resort hotel in Newport, Rhode Island. But there's more to the story here.
Phoebe Stone arrives at the Cornwall Inn without luggage, dressed up in a green silk frock and gold high heels. We soon learn why she's there. **CONTENT WARNING & SPOILER ALERT** She's always wanted to stay at the Cornwall, and she's flown there from St. Louis on the spur of the moment to treat herself to one last big splurge -- before she commits suicide. Her husband has left her, for someone she thought was a friend (a colleague AND a mother to boot!), following repeated (unsuccessful) rounds of IVF and a miscarriage. She just turned 40. She's also struggling with job burnout and -- the final straw -- the death of her beloved cat.
But while checking in, Phoebe learns the entire hotel (apart from her suite) has been booked for a lavish, week-long wedding party. Almost immediately, she's drawn into the lives of "the wedding people," and, in particular, the self-centred, chatty young bridezilla, Lila.
So -- much more than a standard "beach read." The book touches on a lot of sensitive themes/realities that the many readers will relate to (especially childless women), including some sharp observations about marriage and weddings, grief and loss, friendships and how they change over time. But it's also a fast and often very funny read that kept me turning the pages.
Overall, I (still) loved it. :) My original rating for this book was 4.5 stars on StoryGraph, rounded down to 4 on Goodreads. "5 stars was very tempting," I said then.
This time around, I'm giving into temptation: 5 stars. :)
This was Book #26 read to date in 2026 (and Book #1 finished in September), bringing me to 65% of my 2026 Goodreads Reading Challenge goal of 40 books. I am currently 1 book behind pace to meet my goal. You can find reviews of all my books read to date in 2026 tagged as "2026 books."

No comments:
Post a Comment