Thursday, December 16, 2021

Boosted :)

We got our covid third dose/booster shots this morning.  :)  Our family doctor's office (back in our old community, a 40-minute drive away) has set up a separate vaccination & testing centre a few doors down from their office/medical clinic, same strip plaza. We were the first ones there, at about 10 to 10, but there was a lineup outside by the time they opened the doors at 10 a.m. One woman arrived and asked if they had any appointments and the nurse told her they were booked solid, but she could talk to the receptionist and see what was available another day. She said they've been operating nine days already, and they've been very busy. They could take nine people at a time -- they had nine tables and chairs set up in a big room in well-spaced rows, and one lady said it reminded her of her school days, lol.  

The nurse asked me what we'd had for our shots before, and I said "AstraZeneca & Moderna." When I booked the appointments online, they asked which vaccine we'd prefer, and I'd said Moderna, since we'd had that for our last vaccine. (We had AstraZeneca for the first.)  But she held up the syringe and said, "This is Pfizer, it's what's we've got. Is that okay?" Oh well, what the heck, I just wanted to get this done. 

So now we've had all three vaccines available in Canada, lol -- talk about mixing & matching...! I'm feeling a bit tired and achy this afternoon, but so far, okay. 

I've very glad we got this done, especially before travelling (although I realize the full protection won't kick in for another week or two). The covid/omicron outlook here is not good right now. The Ontario chief medical officer had a news conference this afternoon saying that if the government doesn't take more public health measures (and if people don't follow them), we could be looking at 10,000 new cases a day by the end of the year. (The highest-ever daily count was 4,800+ back in April.)  Today was 2,421. That's up 88% over last week, highest it's been since May, when we were on the downswing of the third wave. :(   The government did roll back the capacity limits for concerts & sporting events to 50% yesterday, and they're (finally) distributing more free rapid test kits to the public, as well as increasing the numbers of testing & vaccine sites & appointments again.  But restaurants & bars are still being allowed to operate at full capacity --  while at the same time, people are being told to limit contacts and hold only small family gatherings for Christmas. Go figure? 

While we were there, waiting out our 15 minutes between getting the shots and leaving, our family doctor came in. He recognized us (even with masks on!) and came over to say hello. He said he was there to get boosted too. :)  He asked me how I'd been feeling (re: my gallstones). So nice of him to remember. :)  I said to dh when he left, "He's worth the drive back to Old Community."  :)   

This is post #1,999 since I began blogging in October 2007!  -- ONE (1) more to reach 2,000 posts!  

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are boosted, and will be building protection as you travel. Hope you're feeling okay today.

    Glad you caught up with your old doctor. I know my doctor will retire in the next few years - I am not looking forward to having to find another one.

    If I don't say so elsewhere, safe travels, enjoy your trip, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a relief to be boosted.

    I think you are the only one I know who has been vaxed by all 3 makers. Kinda cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I am glad you are boosted.
    Me and my husband also got Pfizer booster vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your boost! You have the buffet plan vaccine, ha! I'm glad you got it before traveling, and you're not having too many ill effects. And what a great doctor! A good doctor is worth traveling for, absolutely.

    ReplyDelete