Friday, December 31, 2021

"Charlotte Fairlie" by D.E. Stevenson

My D.E. Stevenson online fan group will be starting a chapter-by-chapter reading & discussion of "Charlotte Fairlie" soon. This book also goes by the titles "The Enchanted Isle" and "Blow the Wind Southerly." 

My copy is a used volume that I got through Amazon, as this title (first published in 1954) has been out of print for many years -- before I learned that new paperback and e-book editions would be available as of Jan. 3rd!  Oh well!  

Our title character, Charlotte, not yet 30 years old, is the headmistress of Saint Elizabeth's School for girls, where she was once a pupil herself. In many ways, it's the only real home she's ever had, after her father essentially abandoned her after his remarriage. It's a challenging role, made more difficult by a disgruntled teacher who wanted Charlotte's job for herself. Into Charlotte's life comes a new student, Tessa MacRynne, who wants nothing more than to return to her father and home -- a castle on Targ, a remote island off the coast of Scotland.  In the second half of the book, Charlotte visits Tessa and her (divorced) father, Rory -- the "laird" -- during summer vacation, and comes to know the enchantments of Targ herself.  (You can probably guess what happens next.) 

In many ways, this is a typical Stevenson novel -- but some of the themes it touches upon are more serious than some of her other books. (Some mild spoilers follow.)  For example, another of Charlotte's students, and her two brothers, are being emotionally abused by their cold, distant father, with some tragic consequences. 

The last few chapters of the book take place at Christmastime -- something I didn't realize when I started reading it over the holidays. :)  Charlotte, facing a lonely Christmas at Saint Elizabeth's, packs her bags, starts driving aimlessly, and winds up staying at a small inn in a country village, taking comfort in the holiday services at the local church.  I was struck by a passage where Charlotte listens to the parishoners chattering about their children: 

"We left them in bed," one woman was saying. "They were opening their stockings. It was a treat to see Bobbie's face... he was too small last year to be excited about Santa Claus." 

"My two were awake at five," said her companion with a chuckle. "Jim and I were up till nearly two, decorating the tree, so we didn't get much sleep -- but there, Christmas belongs by rights to the children..." 

"That's what I always say," said the first woman. "Christmas would be sort of meaningless without children." 

Charlotte paused for a few moments at the lychgate with a pain in her heart. It was true. Christmas without children was meaningless... and then she raised her eyes and saw the little church with its lights shining through the stained-glass windows and she realised that there was one child who belonged to everybody who would let Him come in. The cloud upon her spirits lifted and quite suddenly she was happy and at peace. 

I realize not everyone will share  Charlotte's Christian beliefs or take comfort in them at Christmastime -- but it was a nice reminder of what the season is supposed to be about, and a welcome surprise to find childlessness treated in a sympathetic way in a book written in the 1950s (by a woman who had children and grandchildren herself). 

4 stars on Goodreads. I wouldn't count this as one of my favourite DES novels, but Charlotte is a very appealing heroine, and the usual lovely DES descriptions, along with the serious themes it tackles, sets this one above some of her other books. 

I will count this book again as a re-read after we finish our group discussion. 

This was Book #59 that I read in 2021 (and Book #5 finished in December) -- my final book read in 2021. (I was secretly hoping to reach 60, when it became apparent that goal might be in reach -- but hey, still not a bad showing!)  This brings me to 164% (!) of my 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge goal of 36 books -- 23 books more than my goal, and 24 books ahead of schedule. This is also my best-ever showing in the Goodreads Challenge since I joined in 2016 -- my next-best result was 50 books read in all of 2019.  You can find reviews of all my books read in 2021 tagged as "2021 books."  

A "Reading Year in Review" post will be coming soon!  :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment