Monday, December 13, 2021

"Emily Climbs" by L.M. Montgomery (re-read)

My L.M. Montgomery Readathon group on Facebook recently finished our group read & discussion of "Emily Climbs," the second volume in the "Emily" trilogy, which I read and reviewed (here) before we began our discussion in mid-September. (The first volume is "Emily of New Moon," which we read together over the summer -- reviewed here and here;  the third -- which I hope we will also read together in group, eventually -- is "Emily's Quest.")  

This second Emily book follows the continuing adventures of our teenaged heroine during three years of high school in Shrewsbury, boarding with her persnickety Aunt Ruth and developing her talents as a writer. Our group discussions added so much to my appreciation and understanding of Emily, Montgomery and their worlds, covering everything from turn-of-the-century (i.e., early 1900s) fashions and hairstyles to Charlotte Bronte, pie socials and chow dogs (!).  

My original rating of 4 stars on Goodreads remains unchanged. 

Our next Readathon book has not yet been announced. I'm guessing we probably won't start it until after the new year.  

This was Book #56 read to date in 2021 (and Book #2 finished in December), bringing me to 156% (!) of my 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge goal of 36 books. (I've exceeded my best-ever showing in the Goodreads Challenge since I joined in 2016 -- which was 50 books read in all of 2019.)  I am (for the moment, anyway...!) 22 (!) books ahead of schedule. :)  You can find reviews of all my books read to date in 2021 tagged as "2021 books." 

*** *** *** 

This is post #1,997 since I began blogging in October 2007!  -- Three (3) more to reach 2,000 posts -- hopefully by the end of December/2021!  

1 comment:

  1. So the group admins mentioned we will NOT be reading the third volume in the trilogy, "Emily's Quest" -- at least, not just yet. Next book to be announced shortly!

    ReplyDelete