Monday, September 26, 2022

#MicroblogMondays: Heardle

I never did get into Wordle -- but then I discovered Heardle, and now I'm addicted. :)  It's basically "Name That Tune" for the Internet era. 

Did you know there are decade-specific versions too??  (I learned this earlier this month from my longtime penpal (*cough* -- enabler, lol) in New Zealand (thanks, J9!). Heardle 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s, anyone?? (There are probably versions for the 2000s & 2010s, too, but since I suck at anything music-related past the mid-1990s, I don't bother with those, lol.)  The original Heardle is now owned by Spotify;  the decade versions are powered by Soundcloud and tend to skew towards British artists and bands, some of them unknown or not very well known to me -- so I don't always get those either, but I'm still far more successful than I am with the original Heardle. 

Once in a while, the song of the day is "unavailable in your location" (something to do with distribution rights, I suppose?), but they will give you a link to the answer so as not to spoil your streak/stats.  In that case, I click over to the answer... if I think it's a song I would have been able to easily identify, I take the answer;  if not, I pass. (For example, today's 60s Heardle song was unavailable in my area. The answer was "Mellow Yellow" by Donovan. I knew I would have easily gotten that one, so I took the win. ;)  )  

As I expected, I'm doing much better on the decades versions, and the 1960s & 1970s versions in particular.  Current stats (from playing on my cellphone -- the stats don't seem to sync between phone & laptop? -- as of this morning, Sept. 26th):  
  • Heardle (original):  37.5% (21/56) correct, including 6 on the first guess and 8 within 3 (and 35 where I couldn't get it at all..!). 
  • Heardle 60s:  95.7% (22//23), including 14 on the first guess, and only one that I didn't get at all. 
  • Heardle 70s:  79.2% (19/24), including 12 on the first guess and 4 on the second, and 5 I didn't get at all. (Including today's -- "Psycho Killer" by Talking Heads, duh. I KNEW I knew the song but just could not place it before my guesses ran out!) 
  • Heardle 80s:  42.9% (9/21), including 3 on the first guess, and 12 I didn't get at all. 
  • Heardle 90s:  20.8% (5/24), including 19 I couldn't get at all. :p   
Do you play Heardle? 

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like the perfect game for you! I can't add another but it sounds fun. You can clearly see your favorite music era in your stats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you love it. I would be hopeless at it. Hopeless! I can't remember song names or artists or lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well color me hubris. I thought I'd be great at all the decades you linked to, but I got only today's from the 70s. And it was ZZ Top, not even one of "my" groups.

    ReplyDelete