Saturday, September 24, 2022

"The Bullet That Missed" by Richard Osman

"The Bullet That Missed" by Richard Osman is the third/latest installment of The Thursday Murder Club mysteries, featuring a loveable quartet of aging amateur detectives who, instead of playing golf or knitting, are spending their golden years trying to solve cold cases. There's former union leader/tough guy Ron; gentle, well-mannered psychiatrist Ibrahim; tough-as-nails MI5 agent Elizabeth; and slightly batty nurse and diarist Joyce (and her new puppy, Alan!), all residents of an upscale British retirement village. Also returning: handsome Polish construction worker/handyman Bogdan, local police officers Chris & Donna, and local crime boss Connie Johnston, who has sworn vengeance against Ron for putting her in jail (one of the outcomes of Book #2).  

The story picks up shortly after the last one ("The Man Who Died Twice") left off. In this installment, the gang is looking at the unsolved case of a local TV anchor whose car went off a cliff and whose body was never found. At the same time, Elizabeth is being threatened by a mysterious new adversary who is pressuring/blackmailing her to commit a murder of her own. 

In addition to the main and supporting characters we've come to know and love from the previous two books, there are a few new characters thrown into the mix who may or may not become regulars in the future. (I'm hoping they will.)  And like the other books, there's wit, humour, plot twists and red herrings galore. Quite simply, it's a whole huge lot of fun. (The chapter where Ron's new girlfriend takes him to a spa had me in absolute stitches -- as did the chapter where the club confronts a would-be assassin en masse.)

I can't wait for TMC #4.  :)  (Currently due in September 2023... a whole year away!!  :(   )  

I've rated the previous two books 5 stars each. I'm giving this one 5 stars too -- but in some ways, I think it's my favourite TMC book yet.  :)  (My reviews of "The Thursday Murder Club" and "The Man Who Died Twice," here and here.)  

I would recommend reading these books in order, as each one so far has picked up where the others left off, and there are certain storylines that continue from one volume to the next. 

This was Book #38 read to date in 2022 (and Book #2 finished in September), bringing me to 84% of my 2022 Goodreads Reading Challenge goal of 45 books. I am (for the moment, anyway...!) 6 books ahead of schedule. :)  You can find reviews of all my books read to date in 2022 tagged as "2022 books."  

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, your favourite yet, that's high praise! I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete