Tuesday, September 13, 2022

"Tales of the City" by Armistead Maupin

The September pick for my Gateway/Lighthouse Women book club is "Tales of the City" by Armistead Maupin. There's actually a whole series of "Tales of the City" books (and I didn't know this until I went to buy this one online for my e-reader!), but this is the original, first published in book form in 1978. 

I vaguely recall a TV series by the same name, years ago, although I don't think we ever watched a whole episode. (I looked it up-- it was made in 1993, and broadcast on PBS in North America in 1994, as well as in the United Kingdom.) Apparently, there's a new one on Netflix right now... a sequel/followup, I think (perhaps based on some of the later novels)? 

As the book opens, young Mary Ann Singleton (played by Laura Linney in the TV versions) comes to San Francisco from Ohio for a holiday -- and decides to stay. She finds an apartment in a big old house at 28 Barbary Lane, run by the somewhat mysterious Mrs. Madrigal, and lands a job as a secretary at the ad agency where her neighbour Mona works. As the story progresses, we meet and become involved in the lives of the house's other residents, including Mona's gay friend Michael "Mouse" Tolliver; the secretive Norman Neal Williams; and the good-looking waiter/Lothario, Brian Hawkins. (I was amused to see that Paul Gross -- a well-known (and ridiculously good-looking...!) Canadian actor and star of the Canadian classic "Due South," played Brian in the TV versions!) There's also Mary Ann's boss, Edgar Halcyon; his spoiled debutante daughter, Dede; her husband/Edgar's son-in-law, Beauchamp, and many others. 

As someone who grew up in the 1970s, I thought the book evoked the era very well (with frequent references to the pop culture, decor and fashions of the day). I've never been to San Francisco (although it's very high on my travel bucket list!), but I thought it also reflected the San Francisco of that time very well too -- just before AIDS began decimating the gay community there (and elsewhere). 

This was a good read -- but I'll admit, I didn't LOVE it. I didn't DISlike it, but I found it just a little hard/slow to get through. Each chapter is very short -- few are more than 4 or 5 pages long -- a brief vignette from the life of one or more of the main characters -- although there is continuity in the storylines throughout the book, and they do come together at the end. Perhaps that made it just a little disjointed? (Apparently the book originated as a weekly serial in the San Francisco Chronicle -- maybe that explains it??) Also, there a LOT of characters and intersecting/intertwining plotlines, and I will admit I found it hard to keep track of them all sometimes! 

3.5 stars on Goodreads, rounded down to 3.  

We'll be discussing this book at a Zoom session before the end of the month. Our October pick will be "BeWILDered" by Laura Waters.  

This was Book #37 read to date in 2022 (and Book #1 finished in September), bringing me to 82% of my 2022 Goodreads Reading Challenge goal of 45 books. I am (for the moment, anyway...!) 6 books ahead of schedule. :)  You can find reviews of all my books read to date in 2022 tagged as "2022 books."  

No comments:

Post a Comment