Friday, June 23, 2023

Odds & ends for the weekend

  • Mel at Stirrup Queens is marking Blogoversary #17 (!!!) this week.  Go congratulate her and give her some appreciation for all she's done for our community over the years. <3 
  • I just found out my best friend from high school is becoming a grandmother this weekend -- her oldest daughter was married last summer, and is being induced on Saturday. She's in her early 30s, so I suppose it shouldn't be surprising... but somehow, it is! 
  • There was an excellent documentary on PBS on Wednesday night about endometriosis, called "Below the Belt." I don't have endo (that I know of, anyway...), but I know many people who do. The program was both maddening and highly informative. Worth a watch. BUT... 
    • Content warning:  The film does end with a "miracle baby" born to one of the women featured. (Of course...!) 
  • I adore Dr. Jen Gunter and her common sense, myth-debunking approach to women's health. (She's a fellow Manitoban and U of Manitoba alumnus, who recently received an honorary doctorate there. She's also a fellow loss mom who lost one of her triplet sons. The other two were born prematurely -- and just finished high school!) The latest edition of her Substack newsletter, The Vajenda, debunks false claims being made on Instagram about egg regeneration (?!).   
  • "‘Dramatic rise’ in number of women freezing eggs in UK," says an article in the Guardian. Some interesting stats cited here: the numbers of pregnancies and live birth rates resulting from IVF treatment have generally increased since the 1990s across all age groups (significantly in some cases) -- but what's not noted is that, overall (if you look at the numbers), most IVF patients are still leaving treatment without a baby.   
  • Another good Guardian article: "How I found joy in life without children of my own." 
  • You can't get much more "establishment" than Fortune magazine, right?  Which is why it was so absolutely awesome to see Katy of the Childless Collective (formerly Chasing Creation) quoted on the childless-not-by-choice perspective in a well-rounded article about "DINKS" (Dual Income, No Kids people) and personal finance in that publication. Headline: "Couples without kids say they have more career freedom and financial stability—the worst part is the ‘judgement’ from other people."  (Ain't that the truth, right?)  Worth a read! 
  • World Childless Week is Sept. 11th-17th, and this year's topics are being announced this week.  There are some new ones this year -- go check out the lineup! and consider making a submission! (something I say I'm going to do every year... one of these times...!). 
Have a great weekend! 

3 comments:

  1. Another great summary of resources, Loribeth!

    I think one of the positives of not having children is that we don't have to "age" ourselves with the titles of grandparent. It still seems extraordinary to me that my best friend is a grandmother, and she's younger than me. I just don't feel grandmother-old! (I'm sure she doesn't either, but still ...) So it is always a shock to me too, when friends become grandparents.
    I love the Jen Gunter piece. I even learned something new (about the follicles being pulled out of hibernation regularly even pre-puberty/menstruation.)
    And the Guardian article talked about increases in egg-freezing, but - along with not overtly discussing the failure rates of IVF - it also doesn't mention pregnancy/live birth rates from using frozen eggs. As far as I understand it, the rates are still very low, but would like to see if they have improved too. It has a wealth of info in the article though.
    Couldn't read the Fortune article, sadly. Good to see that CNBCers are getting publicity though.
    I usually submit something to World Childless Week - but not yet feeling the inspiration. Will check out the topics though. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thanked you for my blogoversary wishes :-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're the reason I subscribe to Dr Jen Gunter. Thanks for that and for your ongoing sharing of resources.

    ReplyDelete