Friday, November 17, 2023

Odds & ends for the weekend

  • It's Little Great-Nephew's 4th (!!) birthday today!  We'll be heading up to Older Nephew's house tomorrow for a family celebration. We sure miss seeing him as often as we have (especially during this past year), since he started school this fall, but we're so grateful for the time we've been able to spend with him, and to have him in our lives!  
    • Here's the post where I announced his arrival, four years ago (November 2019).  :)  
  • In the WTF?/Annoying things category:  On Nov. 2nd, I ordered 6 (paperback) books, as well as some boxed Christmas cards, during a sale from our national mega-bookstore chain -- 30% off with my membership card.  
    • The cards were delivered on Nov. 6th. 
    • Two books were delivered in one package on Nov. 6th.  
    • Another book arrived on Nov. 15th. 
    • Two more shipments -- one with one book, the other with two books -- arrived at the same time yesterday, on Nov. 16th.  
    • That's 5 separate shipments/deliveries (!) over 10 days! (I was perfectly willing to wait the full 10 days to get everything all at once.)  I get that they may have come from different warehouses -- and the shipping was free, to me anyway -- but seriously? It seems so wildly inefficient...! -- all that packaging (cardboard = recyclable, at least), all that additional labour to get them to me... 
  • The New York Times had an article this week celebrating the 100th anniversary of the publication of "Emily of New Moon" by L.M. Montgomery. (Gift link.) I was kind of gobsmacked by how many people in the comments -- many of them ardent fans of "Anne of Green Gables" -- had never heard of Emily (let alone the many other wonderful books & heroines Montgomery created). All of Montgomery's books were touchstones of my growing-up years, and (as you all probably know already!) the older I get (and the more of her work I re-read), the more I realize just what a huge impact she had on my life and on the person I am today.  (My reviews of "Emily of New Moon," here and here... I've also read & reviewed the two sequels on this blog over the past three years.)  
  • I loved this! -- go read it!  "A very short essay against 'as a mother': On being able to care without kids" by Amy Key of "So Glad I'm Me."  (This link was recommended by Sara Petersen at "In Pursuit of Clean Countertops" -- she got it from Jessica Stanley at "READ.LOOK.THINK.") 
  • I'm not the only one who has a problem with Novembers: Katie Hawkins-Gaar at "My Sweet Dumb Brain" ponders her own history of grief during this month in "As the layers of life accumulate." (Very appropriately, I read it on Nov. 14th -- the 25th "anniversary" of Katie's due date.) 
    • (That said, Nov. 14th this year was... okay. The sun was shining, which helped enormously, I think!) 
    • Content warning: a parent's death, and postpartum psychosis (living baby) mentioned.  
    • Sample passage: 
Some days, some weeks, some months, are heavier than others. These are the times when bad things have happened, when our lives are forever changed. Our minds may not always note the date, but our bodies typically do. 

On these days, we feel out of sorts — we feel sad, anxious, or irritable, and we’re not entirely sure why. Our bodies nudge us along. Then we remember.
  • Also this:  "Maybe she manifested it" from "The Antidote" by Helen Davenport-Peace. (When did "baby manifestation coaches" become a thing?? UGH!)  Sample passage (bolding & italics are the author's): 
To be clear; if you’re reading this and Not Pregnant Yet…

it isn’t because you haven’t manifested it. It’s not because you have a baby blocking belief buried deep into your subconscious. It isn’t not happening because you don’t believe enough, that you aren’t manifesting properly, hard enough or with the right coach by your side to clarify and cleanse your vision. There isn’t a missing piece in the wiring between what your mind and body desire that someone else can solve in three monthly installments of three thousand pounds.

3 comments:

  1. I loved the Emily books growing up: their edginess and Emily's not-so-agreeable-and-approachable intensity.

    Of course I hope the Emily books remain in print forever, but I don't know if they need to be more famous. Whenever a character or story gets overly popular it falls victim to kitsch it seems to me. People seem to get caught up in the "costume drama" part, and the stories and characters are flattened. I like the idea of readers encountering Emily not as yet another corner of a pretty, predictable and well-mapped universe but something unexpected and maybe a bit dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Gracious. Baby Manifesting Coaches is a thing now? That's a new low in the cult of positivity. Gross.
    Glad your November day...was. and wasn't horrible.
    I LOVED the Caring Without Kids essay... Holy crap yes. I was just thinking about that! Perfectly stated. Thank you for sharing!
    And happy FOURTH birthday, LGN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. Baby Manifesting. That's disgusting.
    Off to read the other article.
    And maybe to find out about Emily. I loved Anne of Green Gables, and all the following books (a reason I dragged my husband to PEI and the Green Gables house on our one trip to Canada back in 2006), but didn't know about Emily.

    ReplyDelete