Sunday, October 3, 2010

30 Posts in 30 Days: Day 21: A receipe

Picking up where I left off with the 30 Posts in 30 Days meme.... 

This is a very, very easy recipe that I love to make on nights when dh is working late & I come home by myself. It takes five minutes to throw together & into the oven, & it's ready about the time he arrives home: 

Easy Chicken & Rice Casserole 

In a casserole dish, combine 1 & 1/3 cups white rice with one envelope of onion soup mix, one can of cream of mushroom soup & 1.5-2 soup cans of water. 

Add chicken breasts. (I use two for dh & me, but you could certainly add more -- four would likely be optimal.) 

Bake in a 350F oven for 1.5 hours. 

That's it! 

I also make a version of this with pork chops. The only difference is that you brown the pork chops in a frying pan first, & cover the casserole dish in the oven. We serve it with veggies, but I've seen variations of this recipe that add vegetables into the mixture. I've used just a half envelope of the onion soup mix and reduced fat cream of mushroom soup to reduce the fat & sodium levels.

For just the two of us, there is lots of rice leftover -- we just refrigerate it & use it later in the week with something easy like chicken strips or fishsticks when we're in a rush for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. We do this for the leftovers from a roast dinner. Put cooked chicken and cold, cooked vegetables in a dish with rice and soup and a bit of water, and bake. Mmm mmm mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm always on the hunt for recipes just like that.

    ReplyDelete