Friday, April 3, 2020

Post this!

It's not just that the volume of posts on my social media feeds has increased dramatically since COVID-19 sent everyone home.  It's the kinds of posts too.

I am being BOMBARDED in my Facebook feed with requests to take part in various "challenges:" to post certain photos from my camera roll (the 7th, or something blue, or yellow, or green, or red....).  To grab the closest book, turn to page 47 and post the fourth sentence, without mentioning the book's title. To post beach photos, scenic photos and photos of myself with my partner.  To post a photo of myself.  To post photos of fun times I've had celebrating in groups, in anticipation of when we get to congregate and celebrate in big groups again.To post photos of covers of albums that mean something to me.

I've received at least three private messages imploring me to stand on my doorstep or patio at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday night and clap and cheer for all the frontline workers. (Why this is coming to me as private messages vs wall posts, I have no idea.)

I "liked" one friend's photo with a curious caption (of her wearing a goofy grin) -- & then received a private message from her that because I'd liked that photo, I now had to post a similar photo of myself. I told her I normally delete all the less-than-flattering photos of myself from my camera immediately, but I'd see what I could do.

She's still waiting, lol. Normally, I don't mind these kinds of posts -- I just skim right by them -- or I take part, depending on my mood and just how busy I am at the moment (or not). No offense to any of you who have posted something like this on your own social media feeds (and especially not to any of you that I'm FB friends with, lol)!

But right now, I'm feeling overwhelmed. (And these are just the "challenges" I've noted or remembered from the last day or two!)

And I didn't even mention the ones like these:
I was nominated to post one photo that makes makes me feel like the Most Blessed Mother in the world. I'm going to tag some other women that I think are great. If I marked you copy the text and paste with a photo. My Facebook is full of wonderful moms. Let’s break our walls! 
[Needless to say, I wasn't tagged on THAT one...!] 
Joining all grandparents around the world with this one. Asking the people who are grandparents to join the challenge of posting a photo of your grandchildren. Just one photo, no description. The goal is to flood FB with positive photos instead of negativity. It's a difficult time at the moment not being able to see and cuddle them. Copy the text to your status, post a photo and check out some beautiful photos xx
This pandemic can't end soon enough...!  :p

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I've seen all these too - well, except for the "Most Blessed Mother in the World" or grandparent one. I've responded to one or two, but only ever in the comments section, just noting that "I don't "do" chain posts." I'm not the only one saying that. If I'd had a private message like that, my response would have been "sorry, no way!" lol Good luck enduring or resisting the barrage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed the same thing, too. My scrolling has become much faster, as more and more of these types of posts fill my feed and I skip them.

    Ouch on those last ones. You never know what kind of loss someone has endured.

    ReplyDelete