Saturday, April 4, 2020

A not-so-fond farewell :)

(And now for something completely different... a non-COVID-19-related post!)

(I often draft posts in advance... but I didn't want to jinx myself with this one by writing a word on the subject before the day finally arrived.)

*** *** ***

Today is the day that sometimes felt like it would never get here.

Today marks 365 days since my last visit from Aunt Flo (my last menstrual period).

In other words, today is the day I can officially call myself menopausal.

(Did I mention that I am 59 years old??)

I know a lot of women find the prospect of menopause -- the end of their fertile years -- traumatic. I don't. For one thing, I had to learn to accept the end of my fertility (and permanent childlessness) almost 20 years ago, after surviving stillbirth & infertility. That's already quite enough trauma for one lifetime!

My reproductive parts never worked the way they were supposed to -- and continued to prove that point by continuing with my period almost a full decade past the average age of menopause...!!  Theoretically, my fertile years ended today;  in reality, I knew LOOOONNNNGGGG ago that ship had sailed. The periods I continued to have over the past 20 years seemed somewhat pointless from that perspective.

By some measures, being officially in menopause marks a woman as "old." I don't feel 59. (Most days. Maybe in my knees?) I don't like the idea of getting old, of course. Who does?? But as my wonderful Grandma used to say (& as I've written before on this blog, many times), it sure beats the alternative. ;)  (And that's never been more true than in this time of COVID, right?)

(Oops, I  said this would be a non-COVID-19 post... sorry!) 

I started getting my period when I was 11 years old. 48 years of Aunt Flo's visits are quite enough, don't you think??

So long, Aunt Flo. It's long past time we said goodbye. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Me, gleefully depositing my "period underwear" in the garbage can --
the ratty old stuff full of stains & holes that I'd pull out of the drawer only for "that time of the month"
so as not to ruin my nicer stuff (hopefully...).
(Note my finger poking through one of the holes!! lol)
I can't even celebrate by going out to buy some nice new ones, because, COVID. Oh well!

9 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Congratulations! Wow, 48 years of AF. That really really sucks. There's such a freedom in not having periods. On the bright side, you had all those extra years of oestrogen, which is so good for us. (It's why I love HRT! lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, freedom!! I guess I can finally take the ziploc bag full of various size pads out of my purse?! And I've noticed my consumption of ibuprofen has fallen dramatically over the past year...!

      Delete
    2. Speaking of pads reminds me, it was getting harder & harder to find my favourite brand of pads (I've always been more of a pad person vs tampons) -- Stayfree Ultra Thin -- Overnight with Wings, for those first few heavy days (and even with the wings, they'd STILL leak sometimes...!) and Regular for the rest of the time (along with liners for lighter days). I did some Googling a while back & apparently they've been discontinued. Which sucks, they were the best (not impressed with the other brands I've tried)... but I guess I don't have to worry about it any more!

      Delete
  2. Such an overstayed welcome!

    Congrats on your new liberation. That picture cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos is awesome! Cracking up looking at it.

    Congratulations on your new freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, love how happy you look. That's good news! Yay :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YESSSSS! Congratulations! Love your holey period underwear send off. I did EXACTLY the same thing underwearwise, and love that since the hysterectomy I can wear whatever underwear I want. Congrats on that freedom without losing an organ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a reason I used Depo Provera. No periods! All you do is get a shot every three months. I can't imagine have periods for 50 years.

    ReplyDelete