Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Things I'm missing

A little while back, Mel lamented "I Miss the Annoying Normal" and asked us "What do you miss?"

I agreed with most of what she and the other commenters had to say, started writing my own list and decided I should turn it into my own blog post. Here it is:
  • I miss seeing our family, especially little Great-Nephew, who is growing & changing every day right now.  I miss the dog. :(  I miss MY family, and wonder when I'm going to get to see them again... the summer is already starting to look kind of iffy....
  • I miss giving and getting hugs (from people other than dh). 
  • I miss my library book club... even though we only meet once a month ( = just one meeting missed so far). I even miss the annoying older lady who monopolizes the conversation and often gets her facts wrong. ;) 
  • I miss going out for lunch. Lunch is my hardest meal here at home. We don't tend to keep a lot of lunch-y stuff in the fridge/cupboards. We eat a lot of bread, cheese, yogurt, and soup from a can. Which is fine (fills you up...), but it gets monotonous after a while, and of course it's nowhere near as nice as the soup they make from scratch for eat in or takeout at the local supermarket. 
  • I miss my Starbucks tea lattes. (I think there's a drive-through outlet relatively close by, but I'm not THAT desperate... yet...) 
  • I miss being able to browse the titles in the bookstore (even though I have a ton of unread books on my shelves!).  
  • I miss being able to go out for dinner on Saturday night. Even dh, who generally prefers to eat at home and could usually care less if we ever went to a restaurant, admits he's looking forward to the day we can dine out again! 
  • I miss going to the movies on Sunday afternoon. Yes, we can watch movies at home, but there's nothing quite like seeing a movie in the theatre (& some movies definitely deserve the big-screen treatment).  We have popcorn we can make here at home (at a fraction of the price we'd pay in the theatre), but I miss theatre popcorn. 
  • I miss taking the subway downtown. Technically, there is nothing stopping me from doing it (transit is still running) -- but even if I was willing to take the health risks, there wouldn't be much to do downtown right now anyway. But I miss knowing that I *could* hop on the subway and be downtown in 45 minutes to shop, visit a museum or art gallery, have lunch, see friends. 
  • I miss the supermarket. Dh has been doing all the grocery shopping, and while he does a great job, and we have all the staples we need, and I am grateful to him for taking on the risk, there are no doubt things I would put in the cart if I was with him that he would never notice or think to pick up. Plus, it's just fun to be there and browse the shelves and find bargains... ;) 
  • I miss going to the mall and shopping generally -- even if I don't buy a thing. 
  • I REAAAALLLLLY miss my hairdresser!  We were due for trims last week, and I'm already feeling pretty shaggy...!  
  • I miss just getting out of the house. The weather has not been very cooperative lately, so we haven't even been able to do much walking. :p  
What are you missing right now? 

4 comments:

  1. That's a good list. How long have you guys been in a lockdown or social distancing?

    I miss the supermarket too. DH is doing our shopping when he shops for his father, so I'm having to give very specific instructions about what I want. But I often browse at the supermarket and I miss that. Of course, some of the things I want aren't available at the moment either. As I use a lot of spices/curry pastes etc, I worry about what happens when my supply runs out!

    I'm starting to miss my takeaway coffees - flat whites. And yes, I miss eating lunch out, as we do that once or twice a week. We're pretty good on the lunch options though. Today it will be leftover curry from last night watered down to make a curry noodle soup. Can't wait. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not technically on lockdown, but the province declared an emergency on March 17th, including restrictions on social gatherings, etc. You can go out for walks, etc., but need to stay at least six feet away from other people. They just extended the emergency today for another 28 days (into mid-May). :( I think of March 12th as "the last normal day." That's the last time we went out for lunch & to the bookstore. We also went to the supermarket & stocked up on groceries & some cleaning stuff (& thank goodness we did!). Since then, we took Great-Nephew's Easter stuff over to BIL's on April 2nd -- just stood on the step & talked through the front door. And we've gone out for walks about three times in the last two weeks. And that's it! -- that's all I've been out. :p (We've had a few nice days, but the weather has still been pretty cloudy/chilly/rainy -- and we even had some snow in the air today!) Dh has been out once a week or so to get groceries and/or pick up prescriptions, and he's worn a mask & his winter gloves the last few times he's done it. They don't want more than one person per household in the stores. A lot of people have been ordering groceries to be delivered, or for pickup, but they are swamped right now, and you could easily wait a week or more for your order to be filled. Dh prefers to pick out his own stuff anyway. ;)

      On the bright side, while we're spending more on groceries, we're not spending NEARLY as much money generally as we usually do! lol

      Delete
  2. I miss going out to eat. I miss shopping when I feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss meeting up with friends. I also miss going to get a salad or sushi for lunch. Since I work from home, that was a nice way to break up the day. I'm eating less vegetables now, and I am craving a really great salad from the local Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete