Monday, August 22, 2016

#MicroblogMondays: Odds & ends

*  When in doubt (about what to blog about), use bullet points. ;)
*  Saturday night's Tragically Hip concert was an emotional experience, as expected -- part celebration, part farewell, part wake. It was pretty cool to see all the photos online of all the viewing parties from across Canada, though. It's hard to know exactly how big the audience was, but they are estimating something like 12 million people, or about 30% of all Canadians, watched at least part of the show. That would make it the second-most viewed broadcast in Canadian history. Only the 2010 Olympic gold medal hockey game drew a larger audience.
*  Speaking of the Olympics, daytime TV (which is generally a wasteland to begin with) feels strangely empty now that the Rio Games are over. 
* I am increasingly reminded that the summer is almost over, and school will be starting shortly. We've been trying to avoid the malls (especially on the weekends) & the hordes of back-to-school shoppers. Do parents these days post photos of their kids' first day of college/university & moving them into dorm rooms, etc.?  I guess I am about to find out...!  :p
*  Oldest Nephew & his Fiancee got a puppy over the weekend!  Now the big question: who's going to look after him while they're away on their honeymoon? And why do I get the feeling it's going to be us?? ("Hey, Aunt Loribeth & Uncle Dh are retired and they don't have kids...they don't have anything better to do...!")  I like puppies, and he's a cutie, but I have absolutely no experience dealing with animals, let alone in a condo setting. All I can say is he'd better be potty trained by then...

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here.      

6 comments:

  1. I'm all for bullet points! Puppy-sitting could be fun (if he's potty trained). You'd get a dose of tail wags and playtime without having to be full-time puppy owners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bullets are lovely! I didn't watch nearly the amount of Olympics I should have, but I miss the chatter, if that makes sense. And oh, the back-to-school craziness. I try to go when my neighbors don't, because while I go each year to get crazy deals for my own classroom, they go with their kids and inevitably complain to me about "those teachers" and their "ridiculous supply lists" as if I'm personally responsible, and then in the next breath offer me their misbehaving kids as if that's funny. SO MUCH FUN. I'll be thinking of you as this is one of those passages-of-time reminders. Good luck with the puppy, if he does come to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh puppies. So cute and yet so potentially full of trouble. I've never toilet trained a dog, so I don't know how difficult it is, but I've heard that there are pads you can use to help contain any accidents. Just be aware that you may end up with a new bed buddy. And your nephew may not get the puppy back. ;)

    The Tragically Hip concert sounded incredible. To see a nation come out for a musical group like this just warms my heart. I'm glad it was a good final performance.

    I have zero clue about the dorm room thing. But I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately we didn't get a lot of the Olympics during daytime TV! I spent a lot of time sleeping on the couch between events in the middle of the night! Thank goodness for the evening athletics sessions that were at a more civilised (for me) hour. I could watch them as I was having my lunch. So today it was back to my newspaper and crossword.

    Cats are so much better than puppies! That's all I know about puppies. lol

    Also thinking of you during back to school. The different school years at least are easier for me to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do I somehow think that you are going to spoil this puppy rotten and end up potty training it, too :-)

    ReplyDelete