Monday, August 1, 2016
#MicroblogMondays: More thoughts from the road
* Flipflops are not meant to be running shoes -- as dh discovered a few days ago. He was chasing the Little Princesses around my parents' back yard, tripped and fell, right onto the cement patio. He broke his glasses, scraped his browbone, cheek and knee and now has quite the purple shiner around his left eye. (I call it his Alice Cooper look.)
* He says it looks far worse than it feels, and I feel very, very lucky for that. It brought up all those feelings of vulnerability and fear of being alone that I think many of us childless-not-by-choice women feel from time to time. What would I do without him?? :(
* You never know when you might need a backup pair of glasses/contacts...!! Fortunately, for whatever reason, dh decided to tuck his next-oldest pair of glasses into the glove compartment just before we left home, just in case... The prescription has not changed much and he will be able to wear them on the road home. Thank goodness!!
* Time just whizzes by when you're retired... and when you're on vacation. I keep having to think, really think, about exactly what day it is -- of the week, never mind the actual date.
* And speaking of the date, what happened to July??!!
* Whenever August 1st rolls around, I am inevitably reminded that August 5th & 7th are not too far behind. :( Not sure if we'll be home by then, but it would not be the first time we were on vacation for Katie's special day(s). I know she is with us, wherever we are, but it still feels weird not to be there and not to be able to carry out our little anniversary rituals. You don't stop being a parent just because your child is dead, or never took a breath -- but there's so little you can do, AS a parent, for your child when they're gone -- and not being able to do some of those few things can be frustrating.
* No matter how long your vacation, there is never enough time to do everything you want to do, or thought you were going to do, and see all the people you want to see. :(
You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here.