Monday, August 8, 2016
#MicroblogMondays: On the road again...
* By the time we get home, we will have been away (gulp) a full FOUR WEEKS. I can't remember the last time I was away from home or took a vacation this long.
* I thought we would leave right after the long weekend, i.e., early last week. Dh said he'd be happy to leave Thursday -- but by mid-week, my dad was insisting we stay until the following Monday (today). He threw in the bribe of a golf game to dh (plus more fabulous homecooked dinners with fresh veggies from his garden), & so we caved. ;)
* Because... we can!! lol -- one of the perqs of retired childless condo living. ;)
* I am reminded once again of what a vast, vast country this is, and how few people relative to area. It's estimated that 75% of the Canadian population lives within 161 kilometers/100 miles of the U.S. border. There's a whole lot of empty space...!
* By the time we get home, we will have been travelling approximately 8 hours a day for three days/two nights straight (not counting stops for lunch & bathroom breaks).
* Northern Ontario travel tips: eat when you can, and use the bathroom where you can, because you never know when you'll get the next opportunity. The towns (such as they are) can be far & few in between. Canadians tend to think there is a Tim Hortons on every street corner -- but when the nearest street corner is another 80 km down the road... (and it may be too small to warrant a Timmies on it...!).
* There were places along the road where we were trying to pull in a radio station and... zilch. Not even the good old CBC. (I remembered this from my trip along this route with my parents, 32 years ago -- I guess technology hasn't improved THAT much since then??)
* Thank you to those of you who sent comments, thoughts & prayers yesterday on Katie's day. We will be visiting the cemetery within a few days of our return, traditional pink roses in tow.
You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here.