Monday, September 16, 2019

#MicroblogMondays: Odds & ends

  • I saw a comment on Twitter this week referencing "the Caroline Calloway essay" and had NO clue what they were talking about (or who Caroline Calloway was, for starters -- how about you??). After seeing several such posts, I did some Googling and came up with this piece from New York Magazine's The Cut.  I was reminded of when I first started hearing about the Kardashians -- who were these people, and why should I care?  I eventually found out who they were (unfortunately, lol) -- but I still don't care (lol) and I'm really not sure why others do.  
  • A childless friend mentioned she'd recently confided in a co-worker about her sadness over not having children or grandchildren to look forward to. The response? "Yep, nothing compares to your kids and grandkids." !!!  It's hard not having what comes to others so easily, but comments like this -- the total, utter lack of empathy -- makes it so, SO much worse...! 
  • A relative was tagged by one of her other friends in a group photo on social media this past weekend. (Glasses of wine were being raised.)  I don't want to quote the caption in full here, but it was a gushing tribute to "mommy friends" (including a "blessed" hashtag). (I also recently got to listen to another relative rave about the group of mom friends SHE's connected with and travelled to Florida with on a girls trip.)  
    • Part of me was rolling my eyes at the "mommy friends" label. But yes, I'll admit, part of me was jealous. (The post went "unliked" by me.)  What must it be like to have a ready-made source of (at least potential) friendships like that? As a woman without children, I will never know...
  • Did you know this is the third annual World Childless Week? Every year I have great intentions of doing some special blog posts in line with the week's themes... and every year... oh well...! ;)  Thankfully, others have not dropped the ball.  ;)  Go to the WCW website to learn more about all the good stuff that's going on -- including webinars (listening to one right now as I prep this post), blog posts and special WCW meetups (many of them happening in the UK -- you lucky women!).  Jody Day has a blog post summarizing some of the WCW events & activities too.  
    • World Childless Week is also the subject of the latest episode of The Full Stop podcast episode. Tune in to hear hosts Berenice, Sarah & Michael chat with WCW founder Stephanie Phillips and several of the WCW champions.  
  • In the sad and sadly growing category of "The Musical Icons of My Youth are Dropping Like Flies:"  I read last night that Ric Ocasek of the Cars had passed away. The Cars' first album came out in the summer of 1978 (a fabulous year for music), just as I was going into my final (senior) year of high school.  I played it to death, and it remains one of my all-time favourites (and their second, "Candy-O," is pretty fabulous too). Put it on, if you want to put a smile on my face. Sheer perfection. 
  • In the same sad category:  Eddie Money also died this weekend. :(   "Two Tickets to Paradise" (my favourite of his),  "Baby Hold On" and (later) "Take Me Home Tonight" (with Ronnie Spector) were huge hits in my youth. I was lucky enough to see him in his prime. In my memory, it was an all-day concert in the early 1980s -- but I did some Googling, and it turns out it was actually almost exactly 40 years ago -- late August 1979, the weekend before I headed off to university. Canadian rock icon & local hero Burton Cummings was the headliner, along with local band Harlequin (who played at our high school dances) and another Canadian band, Max Webster (with Kim Mitchell, who later had a solo career, and later still DJ-d the afternoon show on our local classic rock radio station). Four great bands/singers, all for $10!! I think I remember it as an all-day concert, because there was no assigned seating, so we drove into the city early and spent several hours lined up outside the venue in order to snag a good spot, once the doors finally opened.  We sat on a blanket on the concrete sidewalk and played cards to pass the time. (No cellphones in those days, kids!)  
You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here

3 comments:

  1. I saw Eddie Money in concert around 12 years ago, along with Scandal and Rick Springfield. My friend and I went and had the most outrageous time. It is so sad to me that not only is Eddie Money gone from this earth, but so is my friend. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to hear the total lack of empathy from your friend's coworker. Mommy friends aren't that great by the way. You can still have nothing else in common I've found. I'm a lot closer with friends I've made over the years with shared interests that I click with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've now introduced me to Caroline Calloway and the essay. Um, thanks??? Lol So many of these influencers are fake. Like the travel bloggers who were borrowing money from the guy's mother, who was working two jobs (I think) to fund them. Some people!

    Ugh about the kid/grandkid comment. I am pretty sure I would not be able to keep quiet if someone said that to me! Double ugh to the "mommy friends" post. I read a snippet today that talked about "friends of convenience" that people can let go when they become empty nesters. I guess it goes both ways.

    Thanks for flagging the WCW activities - I meant to do that but didn't get around to it. Sigh. Every year it is the same. At least you do more than I do!

    And finally, yes the passing of musical icons reminds us of our age, doesn't it?! And not in a good way.

    I love these odds and ends posts - though this one took a long time to read (along with the accompanying material!) and digest and comment.

    ReplyDelete