Wednesday, October 30, 2019

More odds & ends

  • Bracing myself for the onslaught of Halloween photos tomorrow...!  I enjoy them to a point, until it gets overwhelming.  We're not expecting any trick-or-treaters at our condo (haven't had any in the three previous Halloweens that we've lived here), but we did buy some chocolate, just in case... ;) 
  • Something else is happening tomorrow that I'll be posting about -- any guesses as to what that might be??  ;)  
  • Thank you to Turia for pointing me to this lovely first-person piece about stillbirth in The Guardian. 
  • I went to my library book club meeting on Monday night, for the first time since the end of June. I had checked the library website & saw the book for this month's discussion was "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro (reviewed here).  I already had it in my collection, so I didn't bother to go to the library to check out a copy for the book club;  I simply showed up at the meeting, ready to discuss the book. What a surprise, then, to learn we were in fact discussing a completely different book!  Fortunately, it was one I'd already read -- one of the best books I'd read that year -- and was happy to discuss in a group setting: "Educated" by Tara Westover (reviewed here).  
  • Just finished off another book (#40 so far this year!).  I'll be posting a review sometime in the next few days. 
  • The 28-year-old daughter of a high school friend (am I really old enough to have a 28-year-old daughter? (let alone the 21-year-old daughter I was supposed to have) -- yes, I am...) was in a serious car accident a few days ago. She is in stable but serious condition at the hospital & will be undergoing several surgeries over the next while. Please keep her, her husband & her parents in your thoughts & prayers. :( 

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes to your friend's daughter for a full and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming to this after your subsequent post. That's very sad about your school friend's daughter.

    Lucky you'd read Educated! Did they change the book? Still, Never Let Me Go is probably a good reread.

    ReplyDelete