Thursday, October 24, 2019

Odds & ends

  • Our federal election is FINALLY over. I wouldn't say our politics are quite as toxic as the U.S. -- yet -- but they're certainly headed in that direction, and this campaign was one of the nastiest I can remember, with personal attacks and misinformation drowning out even nominally substantial policy discussions. I used to love elections;  these days, I can't wait for them to end. (Six weeks is PLENTY long enough;  I don't know how the Americans do it!!)  
    • The fallout from this one has been nasty as well, with disgruntled friends and relatives -- who do NOT share my American friends' fondness for Justin Trudeau, lol -- posting such loathsome stuff on Facebook & the like that I've been seriously considering taking a break from social media until things settle down.  
    • I rarely post anything overtly political on social media, but on the weekend before the election, I shared what I thought was an even-handed & helpful article from the Globe & Mail that outlined the platforms of all the political parties on my Facebook feed. Within minutes, I was subjected to a diatribe in the comments about Justin Trudeau -- and when I pointed out that the article was about the various party platforms and not JT specifically, I got blasted again. :p (And this is why I rarely post anything political on social media...!)  
  • (On a happier note) I spent a lovely afternoon yesterday at the nearby art gallery where I hold a membership, viewing the exhibits (including a new exhibit of Maud Lewis's work), enjoying the beautiful fall colours and having a delicious (albeit slightly pricey) lunch in the cafe with two of my former work colleagues/friends (coincidentally, also both childless/free).  I don't often get to spend time with girlfriends these days, nevermind in such a lovely setting, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :) 
  • My reading progress has stalled since I got back from my trip west to see my family. Library book club meeting is Monday night, and I'll be picking up our next selection then... maybe that will be the kickstart I need to get back in the groove! 
  • "Hamilton" tickets go on pre-sale online to email list subscribers on Saturday morning (that's me!)... dh is "meh" about going (although I am sure he will love it if I get the opportunity to drag him there...!)... wish me luck!  
  • I found myself nodding over this New York Times piece on "The Lasting Trauma of Infertility." You probably will too! 

3 comments:

  1. I have a friend from college who grew up in Alberta, but now lives in Texas. He's a "conservative" and is constantly posting both Pro-Trump and anti-Trudeau nonsense. I'm all "Dude, pick a country!" I will frequently call him out on his most egregious stuff, and his friend group has several other people who will do the same. It's...nice to be able to have a dialogue, but it's also exhausting when people are so very wrong about some things. (Not everything he posts is wrong, but some of it just sets me off!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Elections. I studied political science, and used to be fascinated by them. But they're too personal and petty now - both in NZ and everywhere else. NZ is not as bad as the US either, but I too see tendencies. Something else they've exported that we'd rather not have!

    (And I saw the Fbk diatribe - that really made the person look terrible, not you. I once messaged someone who was starting to rant on my Fbk page, and told them that I preferred to keep any debates offline. They de?/un?-friended me!)

    Your art gallery afternoon sounded lovely. Good luck for the Hamilton tickets. And off to look at NY Times article though their paywall keeps me out of most articles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I deleted my fb account this summer and haven't missed it at all.

    I love your day at the museum, especially because you got to have lunch with two friends! I wish times like this weren't so few and far between these days.

    ReplyDelete