Saturday, August 22, 2020

Chasing rainbows

I stumbled onto this post in my Instagram feed this morning by The Dovecote, a UK-based organization that supports childless women (it's actually a repost from a bakery called The Kitsch Hen!).  When I saw that today is apparently "Rainbow Baby Day," I winced a little. I love rainbows, and I am so happy for my friends who got their "rainbow baby" ...but of course, any talk of "rainbow babies" is always a reminder that I didn't get mine, that (as some childless friends have put it) I've been stuck standing outside in the pouring rain these past 22 years, metaphorically speaking. ;)  

So I was happy to read on in the post (always read the whole post, people!) and get a thrill of recognition that my childless tribe had not been forgotten. :) That, in fact, someone recognizes that those storm clouds still might have a silver lining, that the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow might not be a baby after all. Thank you, The Dovecote & The Kitsch Hen!  I don't often share stuff like this on my own social media feeds, but I shared this one on Facebook because I was so tickled. 

(And because of this post & my desire to share it, I learned how to embed an Instagram post into my blog, so there's that too..!)

View this post on Instagram

Absolutely adore these by my lovely and super talented friend @thekitschhen 🌈💜💜 I’m so pleased you realised it was today... and was able to share these little beauties and your beautiful words with us 🕊🤍🤍🤍 ... sometimes our rainbows 🌈 look a little different to what we’d imagined & dreamed of 💭🕊🤍🤍🤍 #Repost @thekitschhen with @get_repost ・・・ Today is national rainbow baby day (thank you @kellydasilvafertilitysupport for highlighting this to me in your post) - I had no idea when I was icing these biscuits for Lucy @_mother_of_one_ yesterday but it feels super fitting to post a picture of them today. 🌈 Rainbow baby day marks the light that comes after the clouds, and the miracle babies that come after loss. 🌈 So this morning I’m sending love to those who have their rainbows to hold after their heartache. I’m thinking of those who are still patiently waiting and hoping for their miracle to arrive, and I’m holding a huge space in my heart for those of us who chose to look for a different rainbow and seek the silver linings in our clouds to find joy, purpose and meaning in a life that looks a little different from how we imagined. 🌈 Have a beautiful weekend friends, and remember you are right where you need to be.

A post shared by The Dovecote 🕊 (@thedovecote.org_official_) on

1 comment:

  1. I so appreciated the inclusion in her post, too! Usually I have complicated feelings about rainbow babies. I love that, some of us have been standing in the pouring rain... ha! I guess if that rain feeds my gardens then that's good. Silver linings and pot of gold, for sure.

    ReplyDelete