Tuesday, July 13, 2021

"Summerhills" by D.E. Stevenson (re-read)

My D.E. Stevenson online fan group just finished reading and discussing "Summerhills" (which I initially read through myself and reviewed back in May, here-- a sequel to "Amberwell," which we read last year  (reviewed here and here). 

"Amberwell" took place from the mid-1920s through the end of the Second World War. "Summerhills" takes place several years later (late 1940s).  Roger Ayrton has returned home on leave from his military career to see his mother, sisters and 8-year-old son, Stephen -- and launch his plan to start a boys' school in the area, which will educate Stephen and provide employment for Roger's childhood friend, disabled veteran Arnold Madden. Another childhood playmate, Mary Findlater, suggests her aging parents' huge, empty home would be the perfect place, and also proposes a new name for the school: Summerhills. 

I will stand by my original rating of 3.5 stars on Goodreads, rounded up to 4.  As I said in my initial review, I think "Amberwell" is the better novel of the two, but I was happy to read more about the Ayrtons, and enjoyed our group discussion (as always!). 

This was Book #36 read to date in 2021 (and Book #2 finished in July), bringing me to 100%!! of my 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge goal of 36 books. I have now completed my challenge for the year, and am (for the moment, anyway...!) 17 (!) books ahead of schedule. :)  You can find reviews of all my books read to date in 2021 tagged as "2021 books." 

No comments:

Post a Comment