Monday, February 4, 2019

#MicroblogMondays: Small pleasures


  • Checking my bank accounts this morning and noticing that our chequing account balance was larger than expected. It seems one of our investments did better than usual last year, resulting in an unexpected little windfall that was deposited this morning. :) 
  • Using some of that surprise bonus money to treat myself this afternoon to a couple of books I've been eyeing at the local mega-bookstore (hardcovers, instead of waiting for the paperbacks). 
  • Knowing we'll have a nice little financial cushion for the next while, with the possibility of funding a few more fun little "extras."  
  • Enjoying milder, spring-like temperatures today (+11C -- albeit with grey skies & drizzle) after several days around -20C (colder with windchill!) last week. 
  • (Finally) Getting out of the house/condo after barely leaving it all last week because of the extreme weather.   
  • Enjoying a great roast beef dinner from the crockpot/slow cooker last night. (With leftovers to follow!) 
  • Getting to spend time with Older Nephew's dog on the weekend (BIL & SIL -- the "grandparents" -- were dogsitting).  :)  Few humans can make you feel consistently loved & appreciated in the same way that a dog can, lol.  ;)  

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here.  

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it lovely having springlike weather after that subzero nonsense? Today was glorious! And yesterday -- I went for a walk in a sweatshirt! No coat! :)
    Congrats on the windfall, that's so nice to have surprise extra money for peace of mind and little treats! Curious what books you got...
    Mmmmmm, roast beef, and dogs! Not necessarily together or in that order. Ha ha ha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up two books/memoirs by a writer named Deborah Levy that I'd read about somewhere: "Things I Don't Want to Know" and "The Cost of Living." Supposedly there's a third volume, but I haven't seen it yet -- maybe it's still to come? They're both slim little volumes in big, well-spaced type so the price per word is pretty costly, but hey, time to splurge. ;) I also picked up a book about the mystery of Oak Island, which I first heard about from my Grade 7 Guidance teacher back in the early 1970s. I don't remember any meaningful classes with him on career advice & such, but I do remember him telling us about this, and also Evel Knevel. Go figure. ;)

      If you don't know what I'm talking about re: Oak Island, it's a real-life mystery off the coast of Nova Scotia that's had people obsessed for more than 200 years now!

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island_mystery

      Delete
  2. How lovely to have some small pleasures like that! I'm sure that emerging from cold-induced hibernation felt liberating. And yay for a financial windfall. Also, comfort food. And comfort pets. How lovely.

    Also, I don't think I want to read a book called "Things I don't want to know!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. What a great reminder to appreciate the good in life. Congrats on having a little extra money! That's always a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprise extra money like that is wonderful. Definitely getting out of the house after all that weather feels great. I'm ready for spring after that! Glad you were able to get out. Roast beef in the crock pot is such good stuff, as is getting to play with a friendly dog.

    Having read the comment above, I'll have to look up the mystery of Oak Island - I love real-life mysteries!

    ReplyDelete