Monday, May 22, 2023

#MicroblogMondays: An "ouch" moment

It's the Victoria Day long weekend here. The weather on Saturday was chilly, but yesterday it was gorgeous (23C/73F, no humidity), and BIL & SIL invited us over for a late lunch/early dinner with the nephews, their wives and the little ones. Neither dh & I nor Older Nephew & his wife had seen Little Great-Niece since Easter (now 3 months old and several pounds heavier), and all of us had fun taking turns holding her and basking in the cuteness (except for Little Great-Nephew, who is clearly NOT impressed with his little cousin & having to share the spotlight!! lol).  I got to hold her for a good while, and even got a few toothless smiles out of her. :)  

We left in the late afternoon, heading outside to the cars in twos and threes so as not to crowd the entryway. Finally, there was just me, SIL, Little Great-Niece in her car seat/carrier and her mom, who was gathering up all the paraphernalia that goes along with taking an infant anywhere these days. 

SIL was gazing lovingly at her adorable granddaughter (as she should, right?). "You know," she said to her daughter-in-law, "there is something so special about being a grandparent, seeing your grandchildren. My mother told me the same thing, and it's true!"  

I quietly put on my sandals and joined the others outside. 

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here

6 comments:

  1. Ouch.

    My life is full of these moments, times when things are said and I am quiet and nobody notices.

    Abiding with you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, for goodness sake. I’m rolling my eyes. Not at you, at SIL. Couldn’t she have said that at any other time? Argh! I’m so sorry you had to hear that, and feel that ouch moment. Sending hugs from Africa. Mali (‘cos logging in from my iPad is too problematic, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes -- and I wondered whether Younger Nephew's Wife (who has had her own struggles getting this baby here...!) noticed?? Thanks for commenting in the middle of your holiday! :)

      Delete
  3. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Sending you a belated hug. What awful, thoughtless timing to say such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, dear. I'm sorry for that insensitivity. So brazen, yet not even noticed.

    ReplyDelete