Monday, May 8, 2023

#MicroblogMondays: A royally good morning

Well, as mentioned in Friday's post, I got up at 4 a.m. on Saturday morning, and even after taking a nap in the afternoon (which I rarely do), I was exhausted all day -- but it was worth it to watch history unfolding on my TV screen in such a spectacular way.  

I'm talking about King Charles III's coronation in London, of course. ;)  The first royal event I can remember watching was his investiture as Prince of Wales in 1969 (when I was 8 years old), and I have rarely missed a major royal wedding, funeral or jubilee celebration since then. So -- much as I am not an early riser these days! -- I was not likely to miss this one!  

As usual, my favourite part of the day turned out to be watching the kids (i.e., the Wales children), and especially Prince Louis, who once again stole the show, lol.  Commentators mentioned that he might not be present for the entire two-hour-plus ceremony (I envisioned a nanny on standby, waiting in the wings to whisk him away if/when he got restless...!), but every time the camera panned in the family's direction, he was still there.  The sheer spectacle of the event was also amazing to take in. Beyond the dresses and jewels and gold coaches and red tunics and the amazing architecture of Westminster Abbey, as well as the wonderful music (etc. etc. etc.), I'll admit I was lusting over the lush green lawns and trees and the tulips, already in bloom!  

I know a lot of people are not fans of the monarchy, or of Charles in particular (especially when compared to his late mother, or his more popular son and heir William) -- but I think he will be a good king -- and I think the system has its merits, as outlined by the Globe & Mail in a weekend editorial

(Besides which -- doing away with the monarchy in Canada would require unanimous agreement from all the 10 provinces plus 3 territories on a constitutional amendment -- and there is, quite simply, no more than snowball's chance in you-know-where of that happening right now, not to mention no political appetite to open up that particular can of worms...!)(Sorry if I'm mixing metaphors here...!)   

Did you watch? 

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here

Taken shortly after I got up on Saturday morning, 
with the clock on the wall attesting to the time!  
I mostly watched CBC's coverage, occasionally flipping over to BBC World. 

1 comment:

  1. That’s so cool you have made a tradition of watching royal family events! I am not that interested in the monarchy, but not offended by or opposed to it either. The last thing I remember watching was William and Kate’s wedding, or at least parts of it. They are close in age to me so somewhat relatable. Also some friends organized a high tea on that occasion and my friend H and I went to a fabric store and bought ribbons and created our own fascinators for the event. So much fun. (I miss H. She moved away many years ago. This reminds me to email her and say hi though.)

    I’m just impressed when people can keep up a tradition year after year, whatever it is….

    I’ve only looked at some pictures of the coronation, and some funny memes of Charles. It could have been fun if I had some grown ups to play with last weekend! But sadly too much reality and illness going on right now. :-(

    torthuiljourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete