Monday, July 16, 2018

#MicroblogMondays: Sisterhood is powerful

(Spoiler alert) 

Last night was the season 2 finale of  "The Handmaid's Tale" on Bravo here in Canada... I suppose now we have to wait another year until season 3...!  There were things I loved and things I disliked about the episode... things that made me cheer and things that made me curse.

I think my favourite scene, though -- the one that gave me misty eyes and a lump in my throat -- was near the end, watching June/Offred and baby Holly/Nicole's escape -- guided along the Underground Railroad, so to speak, to a rendezvous with an escape vehicle, by a well-orchestrated network of Marthas (housekeepers to the commanders & their wives) -- one brave woman after another (starting with the Waterfords' own Martha, Rita). Women helping women; women rebelling against the patriarchy. (Not all women, of course -- but even Serena, who wavers back & forth between kindness and cruelty to June, comes down on the right side for once, knowing in her heart that Gilead is no place for baby Holly/Nicole to grow up.) It gave me a glimmer of hope, at a very dark time for our world...

As the second-wave feminists used to say, "Sisterhood is powerful."  And speaking of sisterhood -- have a look at my previous post, if you haven't already, the links and the embedded video. The global sisterhood of childless-not-by-choice women has found its collective voice... hear us roar!  ;) 

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here

4 comments:

  1. I love the way you link this with our own sisterhood.

    As an avid West Wing fan, I was relieved to see that Bradley Whitford (spoiler alert!) turned out to be okay too!

    And I love that you linked to your Hear Us Roar post. I nominated it as a favourite post on Mel's recent Best All-time posts Round-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was nervous about him, but he was quirky and I wanted to like him and THEN I DID! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh what a fantastic sisterhood. Not unlike the Handmaid's Tale, the members of this sisterhood didn't choose to be included, but you've become lights for others who are in similar spots. Thank you for that, and for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to wait to comment until I saw it, and I finally finished season two! I loved that aspect of that episode, the women working together for a greater good, and I found that scene with Serena poignant. That pull between what she wants and what she knows is right was so hard to watch, especially since this hell she's created is being cruel to her, now, too. (I loved her sisterhood of Wives who came to the council to advocate for reading the Bible, and swore at those who chickened out and left her side as she started reading Eden's Bible.) I actually loved the very end, too. And I agree that the sisterhood of childfree-not-by-choice women is powerful, and I love being a part of the roar! You are such an important voice in this community.

    ReplyDelete